ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 - The search window has disappeared

Jump to solution
03-30-2016 12:46 AM
SteeveEbener
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I am posting my issue here as I could not find another group where to post issues related to ArcGIs desktop.

I have recently installed version 10.4 on my computer and after opening ArcMap few times the search window has simply disappeared. Clicking on the icon or on Windows>Search does not make it come back.

I have tried several things including uninstalling and reinstalling, repairing, changing the name of the normal template (normal.mxt) to get a new one being created...nothing works..

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steeve

21 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Folks,

Open a regedit session from run bar or a cmd window and navigate down into the HKCU hive...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\Desktop10.4\ArcMap\DockingPaneLayouts

If you poke around in panestate the search window is assigned to one of the panes (I've seen it now as Pane-3, Pane-4, or Pane-5 when rebuilt on different systems) where you can edit it to adjust placement (this is not documented so trial and error on some of the criteria).

But, probably simplest to just delete the entire DockingPaneLayouts Key and allow it to rebuild with defaults.

This is part of the user profile, and  the HKCU is per user on a system, each user will pick-up ArcGIS for Desktop defaults on initial launch--or if the defaults have been removed.

And this should get your Search pane back in service--alternative is to delete the whole user profile, i.e. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI it will rebuild with defaults on next launch.

Stuart

p.s.  You close the regedit session to apply changes (as always be aware that any changes are immediate and irrevocable--so please be careful, maybe dump the registry as a backup before starting).

0 Kudos
SteeveEbener
New Contributor II

Dear Curtis, dear Stuart,

Thanks first to both of you for your inputs and my apologies for the delayed reply.

The problem I have is in ArcGIS desktop 10.4 and no Pro as per the original message and is unfortunately still there even after having deleted the whole user profile (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI).

The search for a solution does therefore continue...

Thanks again and best regards,

Steeve

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Zapping the entire user profile didn't work? Too bad, t had hopes for that approach.

Resetting your ArcGIS application profile​ (short of a full profile zap) is the first thing Esri tech support usually asks people to do when weird things happen with the ArcMap interface.

I hate to say it, but a Windows rebuild is sometimes necessary, especially if your computer has been around for a while.

If you have access to Esri support, this is definitely worth the effort of contacting them. But even with them walking me through a registry clean, once I had to rebuild a Windows machine when things just were too messed up.

0 Kudos
SteeveEbener
New Contributor II

That's scary...

I am actually starting to wonder if ArcGIS 10.4 is really compatible with Windows 10 as it  keep crashing for simple things like projecting a layer or drawing a buffer...

I have sent an email to Esri Support in Hong Kong. I will keep you informed.

0 Kudos
MayurDodiya
Occasional Contributor

Hi steeve,

Did you find any solution for this issue ? I have the same issue and tried all options but nothing works, the issue still continue.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
SteeveEbener
New Contributor II

Hi Mayur,

Sorry to hear you are facing the same issue.

I had to re-install ArcGIS 10 for another reason and the re-install solved the problem.

I am afraid this might be the only solution at this stage.

I hope this is useful.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Just word to the wise - a Repair install should always be tried first as this works really quickly (no need to remove and add GB of of applications and data from your disk) and often will do the trick.

MayurDodiya
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I deleted DefaultDomain_Path_  folder from this location C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\ESRI and it worked for me.

Thanks,

MatthewDobson
Occasional Contributor

Mayur, your suggestion fixed this issue for me. Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
WilliamGrimm
New Contributor

Also worked for me, thanks!

0 Kudos