ArcGIS 10.4 for Desktop Background Geoprocessing Installation Fails

03-12-2016 12:39 PM
FatmaŞenol
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I upgraded from ArcGIS 10.3.1 to  ArcGIS 10.4. I'm having a problem with ArcGIS for Desktop

Background Geoprocessing installation. The setup wizard looks for setup files under the following location:

C:\Users\Saygins\Documents\ArcGIS 10.3.1\DesktopBackgroundGP\SetupFiles

However, the setup files are in D:\esri\BackgroundGP\DesktopBackgroundGP.  I changed the path

and tried to continue but ended up with no luck. The last error message I got said "The D:\esri\BackgroundGP\DesktopBackgroundGP\SetupFiles\setup.msi  was not a valid installation package for the product."

Please note that I uninstalled ArcGIS 10.3.1 prior to installation of ArcGIS 10.4. Have anyone encountered

such issue before ? It'd be great if you could kindly share your suggestions. Thank you.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
LaureneKoman
Occasional Contributor III

Omur

Can you please let me know if these are the repro steps:

1. Install Desktop 10.3.1

2. Install Background GP 10.3.1

3. Uninstall Desktop 10.3.1

4. Uninstall BGGP 10.3.1

5. Install Desktop 10.4

6. Install BGGP 10.4 (and this is where the issue occurs)?

thanks!

Laurene Koman

ArcGIS Installation Team

AngelaDeegan
Occasional Contributor

Laurene Koman‌ I need to uninstall just Background GP. (We're been advised that, for Safe's FME data translations to be able to translate our SDE data, we need to uninstall it.)  I didn't even realize it was installed but I see there's an enable checkbox for it so apparently it's installed. 

However Background GP isn't listed in Programs and Features. So I don't know how to go about uninstalling it and haven't been able to find documentation on uninstalling it. For now, I'm trying uninstalling ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 and hoping that will help me get towards the goal. While that uninstall is running, could you point me to what my next step should be to uninstall BGGP please?

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman

Please send me a screenshot of the ArcGIS entries in your Add/remove programs.  thanks 

when you browse to the setup.msi - it has to be the same version that you have installed.  

0 Kudos
AngelaDeegan
Occasional Contributor

Programs and Features (after successful uninstall of Arcgis Desktop

0 Kudos
JaapDijkstra
New Contributor

Hello,

I have the same problem as above.

But with the Arcgis data inter operability

How can i fix it ???

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When things get this out of synch, it makes sense to uninstall everything and start again.

If you can't uninstall a product along the way, install it, then uninstall it. 

If you get stuck beyond that, it's best to contact Esri support, they have tools to help you clean your machine.

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman

to reininstall/uninstall 10.3.1  Desktop Background Geoprocessing, the setup files you need to access will be dated 4/2/2015. 

0 Kudos
AngelaDeegan
Occasional Contributor

How do we know I had version 10.3.1 of Desktop Background Geoprocessing?  I don't know where to find the setup files from that date. On the MyESRI page, there's only one version of it available for download (for 10.4 Desktop) and it's undated.

Also, if I reinstall it (though apparently it's already installed), is that what will make it appear in the Programs and Features - from where I can then presumably uninstall it?

0 Kudos
LaureneKoman

when you install BGGP, it adds a \bin64 folder to your arcgis Desktop installation folder. Do you have a \bin64 folder?  If so, you can check the details of a file (afcore.dll is a good one) and it will show the version which reflects the release of BGGP also. 

0 Kudos