Sketch Halo vs Simple Buildings

10-05-2015 01:57 PM
RandyCrumley1
New Contributor III

When using the buildings tool (I think it used to be called simple buildings) on the Defense Mapping Toolbar in conjunction with the sketch halo, the simple buildings tool begins to populate the spatial attributes (lzn, wid, ara) improperly.  It appears to be doing it in the wrong units (supposed to be meters, I think it's doing kilometers).  In addition to populating the spatial attributes incorrectly, it also uses the wrong units to distinguish point from area when it chooses the appropriate geometry to create. When the sketch halo is deactivated, the tool still malfunctions until you stop the edit session and start editing again (without the sketch halo).  However, I have encountered situations where, once editing is resumed, the LZN and WID are populated, but the ARA calculation still appears to be in the wrong units, since it's almost always calculates it to 0. 

When I check the Buildings Property Configuration, it still reads meters as the unit of measure, so I'm not sure where the problem is coming from. 

I am using the TDS v6.1 schema, if you need to test it on something... WGS 84.

ArcGIS 10.2.2 for Desktop

ArcGIS 10.2.2 License Manager

Esri Production Mapping 10.2.2

Esri Defense Mapping 10.2.2

ArcGIS 10.2.2 Data Reviewer for Desktop

Let me know if you need additional information.

-Randy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Randy

Thanks for the feedback.  We will take a look at this issue and post a reply ASAP.

RandyCrumley1
New Contributor III

I also don't know if this is relevant, but we are connecting to an imagery service as well.

0 Kudos
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Randy,

I work with Bo. My name is Dan. Thank you for providing the information above and for bringing this issue to our attention. Our testing has found that the Buildings tool on the Defense Mapping toolbar is not populating the ARA field with a square meter value for polygon features. The field is being populated with a decimal degree value. Therefore, I have submitted the following bug on your behalf:

BUG-000091265 - Buildings tool does not populate ARA field with square meter value for polygon features

To workaround your issue, use the Buildings tool to capture the building polygon and then use the Calculate Metrics tool to calculate the correct square meter value for the ARA field.

Regards,

Dan

RandyCrumley1
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan.  I can do that for polygons - any suggestions for points?  I don't know that simply converting the dd to meters will be accurate enough for our specifications, especially since it appears in many cases to only be reporting one digit when malfunctioning - which, after conversion, will result in many of the buildings having the same values in the ara/wid/lzn columns, which would be a misrepresentation of the data.  Especially annoying conversion given you have to account for differing latitudes...

In further testing, I additionally found that the tool will sometimes only create area buildings (IF you have 'always create building checked', otherwise it has to be drawn giantly to actually add a building) when the Halo on.  It appears to act as such due to the fact it is reporting and reading two different numeric representations of the feature's drawn geometry.

Thanks again.

-Randy

0 Kudos
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor

Hi Randy,

Thank you for responding. I am connected to an image service and I have toggled on my sketch halo as well. When I capture a building point using the Buildings tool, the ARA is populated with the appropriate square meter value. I am running Esri MCS 10.2.2 Patch5 Build 3652.

1. What patch are you running?

2. Can you send me a screenshot of the Buildings tab on the Property Configuration dialog?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos