Coast/Tidal water features do not show on the maps

Jump to solution
03-29-2023 01:18 AM
hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I have been working on making TM maps using TDS data in ArcGIS Pro and got some problems with displaying coast features in Adjoining Sheets Guide, Boundaries, and Elevation Guide maps.

Here's how I went through the steps to make a TM map.

First, I selected an index of the coastal area through the Production Manager application. The area contains tidal water features (F_Code BA040 of Hydrography Surface feature class). 

Then, I ran a "Cartography-Automated" job to create a TM map in ArcGIS Pro. The expected output should display blue-colored tidal water features in Boundaries, Adjoining Sheets, and Elevation Guide maps.

For example, one like this:

hm_stella_0-1680076944481.png

However, the output was totally different from what I expected. It did NOT have those features on the map, also the BaseMap.

hm_stella_1-1680077696134.png

It is weird that TDS data does have the features, but the output does not.

Does anyone have this kind of issue when generating a map or know how to fix this?

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GCRice_EsriPS
New Contributor II

Hello, 

For the TM50 production type you have defined, please use the Manage Production Type tool to check the Extract Operation. We recommend INTERSECTS for cartography production types and CONTAINS for data maintenance. INTERSECTS for cartography production types will ensure all features intersecting the AOI are extracted. It's possible that if you do not choose this option, large features that extend outside the AOI like Tidal Water and landcover features may not be extracted to the job 's file geodatabase.  If this is the case, change to INTERSECTS, run, then create another job. See below:

GCRice_EsriPS_0-1680100639230.png

Let us know if this solves the issue or if not, any more detail you can provide would help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GCRice_EsriPS
New Contributor II

Hello, 

For the TM50 production type you have defined, please use the Manage Production Type tool to check the Extract Operation. We recommend INTERSECTS for cartography production types and CONTAINS for data maintenance. INTERSECTS for cartography production types will ensure all features intersecting the AOI are extracted. It's possible that if you do not choose this option, large features that extend outside the AOI like Tidal Water and landcover features may not be extracted to the job 's file geodatabase.  If this is the case, change to INTERSECTS, run, then create another job. See below:

GCRice_EsriPS_0-1680100639230.png

Let us know if this solves the issue or if not, any more detail you can provide would help.

hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Thanks @GCRice_EsriPS !

YES, the Intersects option did solve this problem!