Select to view content in your preferred language

What conditions symbol size in a list

Jump to solution
03-08-2024 08:21 AM
Labels (1)
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

I am perplexed by how symbols/icons that show in a list are sized, and it is kind of maddening. I have two lists that show the symbol in the list item but they render vastly different sizes (see below).  In the two screen shots below the symbol size specified for the top (smaller point) is 14px, in the other, the symbol size is 9.33px. Outline widths were 1 and .93 respectively. In playing around with this I realized the main difference i am seeing is that the first is a 'basic' symbol type where as the other one that renders huge is a 'vector' symbol. Changing that (both symbols now use the basic symbol type with outline width of 1, symbol sizes are still 14 and 9.33px as originally set) makes the symbol size in the 2nd example much more reasonably sized, but it still renders larger than the other one. This is just kind of bizarre. Any thoughts? 

clt_cabq_0-1709913839575.png 

clt_cabq_1-1709913884360.png

after changing the symbol type:

clt_cabq_2-1709914724104.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure why the vector types behave so differently. For regular symbols, they match the rendered size of the symbol at the map's initial scale. It's possible your symbology might have the "adjust symbol size automatically" option checked, and if the map is saved at a different scale, it will keep that as the size shown in the list.

Are both layers coming from the same map? And do either have the "automatically adjust" setting on?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure why the vector types behave so differently. For regular symbols, they match the rendered size of the symbol at the map's initial scale. It's possible your symbology might have the "adjust symbol size automatically" option checked, and if the map is saved at a different scale, it will keep that as the size shown in the list.

Are both layers coming from the same map? And do either have the "automatically adjust" setting on?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

Data are in two different maps, one did in fact have "adjust size automatically" checked. That is likely the cause for the difference between the two dashboards. Appreciate the heads up there. 

0 Kudos