Switch map on existing dashboard

Jump to solution
12-21-2017 11:18 AM
MikeOnzay
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to switch the data source of an existing dashboard from one hosted feature service to a different one without affecting the existing widgets? I created a hosted feature view off of a hosted feature service the dashboard uses. The only difference is that editing is not turned on the view.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can use the "Change Data Source" button on the widget to change the data source, this may reset certain areas of the configuration to defaults though. If you truly want to ensure that only the service layer it uses is updated can use a tool like AGO Assistant to directly edit the dashboard json. Currently, each widget has one or more data sources that are represented by either item ids (for a standalone service/layer) or by the map layer id. You can update these if necessary (though there are risks that if you accidentally mess up the json, the dashboard may not function correctly).

View solution in original post

11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can use the "Change Data Source" button on the widget to change the data source, this may reset certain areas of the configuration to defaults though. If you truly want to ensure that only the service layer it uses is updated can use a tool like AGO Assistant to directly edit the dashboard json. Currently, each widget has one or more data sources that are represented by either item ids (for a standalone service/layer) or by the map layer id. You can update these if necessary (though there are risks that if you accidentally mess up the json, the dashboard may not function correctly).

PaulDavidson1

Must be staring at this too long but I'm not cluing in to this: ""Change Data Source" button on the widget to change the data source"

To which Widget are you referring?  Where do I find it?  I'm not seeing any widgets on my OpDash with any Change Data Source buttons.

Do these widgets refer to the earlier OpDash versions?  Are they no longer to found on the latest 

AGOL version?

Secondly, how do you edit the JSON with AGO Assistant.  Does it require the paid version?  I seem to only be able to read the JSON.

Thanks

ZacharyHart

same thing here...i see no such option.

0 Kudos
josephgewin
New Contributor

https://ago-assistant.esri.com/

I realize this reply is over a year late but you can use this link to access your content and edit behind the scenes

JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Shockingly, I was able to edit the JSON item ID in a dashboard and completely swap in a new map to a dashboard, with no apparent ill effects.  Love it when something works the first time!!

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
HollyTorpey_LSA

Worked for me too, saving me considerable time. Thanks for the tip!

- Holly
0 Kudos
MikeOnzay

Changing the data source worked for 4 of the panels. It did reset some areas. The other two panels I have required more work for some reason.  

I did take a look at the JSON through the AGO Assistant but I was unable to find the itemId that matched my datasource id. I was seeing something like id with dashes followed by a # followed by another id. Since it was not going to be simple I used your first suggestion.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-kdRWG0FmLYqo
New Contributor II

I too had the id with dashes followed by the # and another ID.  The number after the # is the ID of the feature service when it is inside the web map, which I could only find visible when I downloaded the JSON of the webmap referenced in my dashboard.  I have no idea what that first part is - I am still searching.

Screen Capture of the information I see for the datasource of my widget in my dashboard in json.

JustinReynolds

Did you ever figure out what the number before the "#" is?

- Justin Reynolds, PE