How to switch layers and automatically switch graphs to correspond with layer

05-16-2022 12:05 PM
Labels (1)
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

Good Afternoon,

I have a dashboard project where  I have a map with multiple layers of the same data, layers are separated by date 2019-2022. Graphs are currently set to layer 2019.

Is there a way to switch layers on and off and have the corresponding graphs update based on which layer is on?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe so. If the data were all in a single layer with the year as an attribute, it would be very simple to have a "year" category filter that acted against both the map and the graph. Do you have the kind of access to merge these layers? Or is there some other reason to keep them separate?

Barring that, you could have three separate maps and three separate graphs, then create a series of stacked groups. But that probably wouldn't perform as well.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

Merging these layers may be a route to a solution. Could a time-slider be implemented and would that make some sort of dynamic interaction with the graphs?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if you could use a time slider in a Dashboard, but in a header/sidebar you can add a numeric selector with a "slider" appearance. If you created a "year" attribute that was an integer, you could do that.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

Thank you. I'll give your recommendation a try.

0 Kudos
HaroldKrivell
New Contributor III

Could using a WebApp Builder give a better dynamic feel to the graphs? I know they have time sliders.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Possibly, but you'll still have the problem that the "time" is just how the layers are being split up. A chart would need a single data source, and the time slider will need a Date field to work against.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos