How to create serial chart displaying month and year only

04-07-2021 06:33 AM
Labels (3)
RTAAdmin
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have monthly data that I want to show in operations dashboard for multiple years.   The dashboard hands the monthly data just fine for a single year, but I cannot figure out how to format my csv file to have it display monthly data for 2020 and 2021.

I opened a case with ESRI on this and haven't gotten anywhere in a few weeks.  

The only work around I have found is adding a day to the month and year, but this is not accurately representing the monthly data.

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well, I took the CSV you shared and uploaded it, then published as a hosted feature layer. Letting it keep the date field as a "date" type appears to infer the dates as being in MMM-DD format, defaulting them all to this year.

On a second attempt, I told the import tool that it was a "string" field, but I didn't alter the formatting. Here's my serial chart:

jcarlson_0-1617829562469.png

Without applying a sort, it takes the features in objectID order, so as long as the CSV has them in order, it comes out okay.

Here's a field I added, Date 2, in which the dates have been re-written as YYYY-MM:

jcarlson_1-1617829923769.png

And here's the serial chart based on that field, using Parse Dates:

jcarlson_2-1617829961241.png

EDIT: Meant to add, your CSV has several empty rows at the end, so that could also be why you're seeing values way over in 1970. I'd left the empty rows in on the first upload, and I was getting a wonky chart just like you posted earlier. Removing them prior to upload helped.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RTAAdmin
New Contributor II

THANK YOU!

I really owe you one.  If we ever meet in person, I owe you a drink.   Thanks so much for this - you solved a problem that ESRI tech support hasn't been able to resolve for weeks.   

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You're welcome! And you just might, as we appear to be in the same region. Metra might even be coming to Kendall County one of these days!

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos