AGOL members can't view web maps created by AGOL Administrators

11-22-2013 05:38 AM
CharlemagneLosaria2
New Contributor
Hey Guys I'm creating a POC application to help map events in my country (Philippines). This is going to be used on the Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) relief efforts and rehabilitation.

I have a question. I created a AGOL trial account as an administrator and created and publish a web map which I can access via the Collector App. The Collector is working as I was able to plot dummy events with attachments. I made sure to share the map within the organization.

now, I created another account this time using a seperate email, with a role of publisher. But when I sign in to Collector as the publisher, I can't access the shared web map. Isn't that what AGOL is supposed to provide? sharing of maps and data among organization members?

a little help here would mean great things for us.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
CraigClouet
New Contributor III
Try to look at the sharing permissions of the webmap, as well as the data (feature service) that is in the webmap. The publisher (user) needs to have access to both. Since you have it working as administrator, it sounds like it is an operational app. Do make sure the webmap has an editable feature service in there or the collector app won't recognize it.

best wishes in the recovery
0 Kudos
CharlemagneLosaria2
New Contributor
Try to look at the sharing permissions of the webmap, as well as the data (feature service) that is in the webmap. The publisher (user) needs to have access to both. Since you have it working as administrator, it sounds like it is an operational app. Do make sure the webmap has an editable feature service in there or the collector app won't recognize it.

best wishes in the recovery

I may have figure out a way but its not fool proof

I logged in as the administrator and made sure the web map is shared to the organization (the web map is the one accessed by Collector for ArcGIS right?)

I logged in as the publisher and clicking on the Gallery link I can see the webmap by the administrator. Now to be able to use it in Collector for ArcGIS, I must open this web map and save it as another web map in my folder (publisher folder). True enough after doing that, I can now see the copy web map and use the Collector and add points or edits as the publisher. The changes will reflect on the

1. Original Web map by the administrator
2. Operations Dashboard
3. Copy of the Webmap by the publisher

so its great right

the problem is, The copied web map also appears on the Gallery for the organization meaning instead of a single webmap, I now have two that I can view both as an administrator and publisher. Now imagine if all 50 members who intend to go out and use the collector, they'd have to create a duplicate of webmap for each and everyone of them thus increasing the contents of the gallery.

any thoughts on how to do this the right way?

thanks!
0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Sharing it with the organization doesn't make it appear in the Collector for everyone in that organization since Collector only shows content that is in "My Content" or "My Groups". The best way to share a map in Collector is to create a group in your organization, share the map with that group, and have your users who need the map be members of that group. Then they will see the map in Collector.

Also, please use the Collector forum for additional questions on this app: this forum is for the Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS application.
Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III

So the best way to manage this is to create a 'Collector' group within an Organization and invite your field data collectors to join it.  All data collection WebMaps would be shared to this group.

0 Kudos
CharlemagneLosaria2
New Contributor
Sharing it with the organization doesn't make it appear in the Collector for everyone in that organization since Collector only shows content that is in "My Content" or "My Groups". The best way to share a map in Collector is to create a group in your organization, share the map with that group, and have your users who need the map be members of that group. Then they will see the map in Collector.

Also, please use the Collector forum for additional questions on this app: this forum is for the Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS application.

Thanks for this reply Kylie. This is certainly what I needed.
0 Kudos