What’s new in ArcGIS Dashboards (June 2021)

06-30-2021 06:17 AM
NooraGolabi
Esri Contributor
2 8 2,656

The previous release of ArcGIS Dashboards brought forth the new ArcGIS Dashboards (formerly ArcGIS Dashboards Beta). In this latest release of ArcGIS Dashboards, we have added in a few improvements to make your dashboards even better. Here’s some of the things you’ll notice when you next open your dashboards.  

New selectors 

A big part of interactive dashboards are selectors. Adding selectors to your dashboard is a great way to allow users to interact with the data and trigger actions on other elements. In the latest release of Dashboards, selectors have been redesigned and have a fresh new look.  

NooraGolabi_0-1625058935861.png

On top of their sleek new look, there are also some new configuration options to look out for, including: 

• The option to choose a presentation mode for your selectors to better display them on your dashboard.  
  • The ability to add icons to your selectors to make them more distinguishable. 
  • New configuration options, including the option to allow users to clear their selector inputs and view their selections in category selectors. 

Learn more about the new enhancements for selectors. 

Improved header design 

As an extension of the new selectors update, the header element has gotten an update as well. The dashboard header element still has two distinct sizes, small and large, however, you will no longer see an option for choosing the size. Instead, the size of the header is automatically determined by its contents.  

For example, if your header includes a subtitle placed in the same line as the title, the header size is small. If the subtitle is placed below the title, the header size is large. When a header includes a logo, the logo size determines the header size. Headers that include at least one selector are always large. 

NooraGolabi_1-1625058935874.jpeg

Another change you will notice with the header element is the application of the background setting. To help with visibility, selectors in the header element are no longer transparent. Instead, selectors in the header will use either the element background color (set in your dashboard settings), or the background color set in the header’s configuration. If your header is using a background image, the image will not span into the selector. This allows selectors to remain visible when background images are used.  

Summary 

These latest enhancements are all now available, along with some back-end work done to improve dashboard performance. Create your first dashboard or open your existing dashboards to start using these new enhancements!

You can find our team at the upcoming Esri UC and learn more about creating effective dashboards with ArcGIS Dashboards in our technical workshop. Register today!

As always, we love seeing the dashboards you make. Share them with us on Twitter and LinkedIn using #ArcGISDashboards. 

8 Comments
MarkCampbell_FortLauderdale
New Contributor

Hi, Thank you. 

I am having difficulty with the new version on Zoom, Flash and Pan actions to a map element. 

Filter works, as does display only when selected.  And unselection returns map to default extent, so there is some interaction. 

The Classic version is working for these actions on the exact same setup. 

Any known issues, and possible resolution?

Thanks

jeffpires_WHO
New Contributor II

Hi,

I believe this update has  introduced a bug into Dashboards, specifically when you have a Details panel receiving actions from a List panel where the action Render only when filtered is ON.  Upon initial loading of the dashboard, the content in the Details "No Selection" configuration used to appear, but instead now, the panel shows a perpetual loading icon.  Only after making a List selection and then deactivating that selection will allow the "No Selection" content to appear as it should in the Details panel.

Dummy dashboard here to illustrate this scenario:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/365565c40eab413eb97027db404c2443

Thanks,

Jeff

SandraLuken1
Esri Contributor

@jeffpires_WHO Thank you for the sample dashboard. We'll have a look and will update here when a fix is available. 

SandraLuken1
Esri Contributor

@MarkCampbell_FortLauderdale Not sure I understand the issue, and feel free to send me a private message with a sample dashboard if preferred. Unselecting the last feature in an element that has a zoom action to the map, will return the map to the initial extent. In comparison with the pan action, unselecting the last feature the map does not adjust the map further. Also note that because the zoom action will adjust the scale and center the map on the selected feature(s), adding the pan action as well is not needed. 

TangoOctober
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm having new found issues with the new update. I've added custom pictures into my map pop ups through HTML in the Attributes Table. Everything was working fine, then after today, my pop ups are having formatting issues. The first picture is from Map Viewer, which displays the pop up correctly. Once the map is imported into Dashboard, the pop up is contorted and has formatting problems. Picture two is my pop up in Dashboard after the update. I've tried clearing the fields to see if that's the issue, but even with blank fields, the pop up formatting is still affected post update.

Picture 1 

Picture 2 

JamieLambert
Occasional Contributor III

Any idea when BUG-000138393 will be fixed - Pop-ups do not honor the existing layer attribute filters when displaying feature information? This has been a known issue before Dashboards came out of beta - first identified in late July 2020. Its a significant issue that I would hope would take some priority.

dashboards-beta-map-widget-shows-popups-for-filtered-features

latest-update-to-arcgis-dashboards-lists-and-selectors-are-not-correctly-filtering-popups 

arcgis-dashboards-beta-category-selector-filters

date-selector-in-dashboard-is-not-filtering-correctly

Thanks,

Jamie.

TamaraZakharova1
Esri Contributor

Hi @TangoOctober. Thank you for reaching out. I wasn't able to reproduce the issue using my data. It would be very helpful if you can share the dashboard and your HTML. Feel free to send me a private message or log the bug through the tech support.

VenusScott
Occasional Contributor III

Selection tool does not work when map/feature service is published with ArcPro. ArcMap is fine.

Too many bugs ESRI. It's frustrating when you implement so called improvements or new products to only have our existing stuff break. The community is tired of having to constantly go back to existing dashboards/webmaps/web apps and fixing them. When I'm done creating and configuring a dashboard/webmap/web app, I don't want to have to go fix it every time you come out with the "next" best thing. Slow down and start testing your stuff more thoroughly or start cutting us a check for debugging your software.