Your device is not sending valid NMEA. Using Android location services to determine your location.

01-30-2017 11:58 AM
AnnVanSlembrouck
Occasional Contributor

We are receiving an error when using the Collector for ArcGIS on Android Galaxy J7.

Our app worked on our older android phones, but since the phone upgrade, we are receiving this error, when trying to find our location on the map. 

Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
31 Replies
SteveTaylor7
New Contributor III

It is not just a NMEA warning message. There is a intermittent bug associated with this resulting in Collector not updating the location. This is a significant issue as it is happening on all our Samsung S7 and S7 Edge running the latet Android OS.  Some prompt action is warranted.

0 Kudos
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

I can't say I've noticed Collector not updating the position.  When it uses the android location services instead of the NMEA, it just seems less accurate.  Can you describe your map setup, environment your using it in, and what happens when the intermittent suspected bug happens?  I can certainly try to duplicate on my S7.  Have you tried switching your device to phone GPS only in Android/settings/location to see if that changes what you think is a bug?

Dan

0 Kudos
SteveTaylor7
New Contributor III

Hi Dan

Jade from esri Australia has opened a case because other unrelated users are experiencing the same issues I have described: "This does appear to be an issues with Samsung phones. We now have record of this occurring on Samsung, S7, S7 Edge, S8 and Note."

0 Kudos
SteveTaylor7
New Contributor III

Noticed something interesting Dan.   If you open Collector then close. Then switch to aeroplane mode and reopen Collector the integrated receiver works fine. No NMEA warning and full location details in the integrated receiver - vertical as well as horizontal accuracy. Then if you turn off aeroplane mode and open Collector you get the NMEA warning and occasionally the integrated receiver bug appears resulting in no location fix.  Odd.....

0 Kudos
SteveTaylor7
New Contributor III

This NMEA warning is now occuring on all our latest Samsung S7s that run the latest version of Collector. They are also intermittently failing to get a location fix. The only remedy is to flick out the app to completely close it and reopen it.  Very frustrating for our Rangers and other field staff.  This issue was first reported 2 months ago. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Steve,

Is there a model number for the galaxy you and your field staff are using?

This link should help. I recall working with some people in Australia that had this issue where the location could not update, but we could not reproduce. As stated earlier, development is aware of the NMEA message issue on Android, just not the issue with the location failing to update.

List of Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge Model Numbers | TechBeasts 

0 Kudos
DanAllen

I get the NMEA message on startup on my Galaxy S7 (US Verizon), my Galaxy S5 (US Verizon), and my Google Nexus 7 Tablet (wifi).  All of these devices were used with Collector for a long time with no NMEA warning messages, until the last 2 collector updates, not they all get the message all the time.

Dan

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dan,

You do not have issues with Collector failing to update location, correct? 

0 Kudos
DanAllen

As far as I can tell, I always get a location on the map in collector, it just isn't very accurate if it is using only android location services instead of the NMEA. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dan,

Okay. I would expect that the location from location services isn't as accurate as when NMEA is being sent. 

0 Kudos