I have been reading through all previous posts that I could find, on any issues related to problems with downloading areas for offline use on Collector (not Collector Classic).
In the few cases I have experienced recently, there are no copies of layers in the same webmap, or domain names that coincide with field names in any of the present layers (as discussed here and here). All layers are shared at organization and/or group level, with syncing enabled and offline mode enabled too for the webmap.
When trying to download an offline area (Area 1), it simply stops soon after starting and shows a blank page with a message "No maps to display" or similar. When re-trying, it will attempt to download 'Area 2' but the result is the same.
I have tried to find the log through Collector developer options, but the only thing I can see is 'Placeholder' which does nothing when selected.
The webmap is created from 3x Feature Layer (Hosted). One was created in ArcMap and based on a File Geodatabase and the other two are shapefiles that have been 'dragged' in.
This works fine on Collector Classic (and it has worked ok with Field Maps too), but the 'new' Collector (v 20.2.2) has very frequent issues with offline area download, even though the type of WebMap we create always follows the same structure.
Despite all layers being shared at organisation and/or group level, I have found that the error is more likely to happen when the user who downloads it is not the same as the user who created the webmap, even though both have equal permissions on AGOL.
Sorry for creating a new post - again after reading through other posts I found no solution to my case and I hope I can find some support here. I'm happy to provide any more information that might be useful to understand the problem.
Solved! Go to Solution.
I've received an update that there is a known issue with the Esri basemaps that's causing this slow download behavior. This issue is currently being looked into. I don't have an ETA on the fix at this point, but hopefully it will be soon. I will post an update when that issue has been addressed.
We are just getting this starting yesterday 7/26. Maps that have worked for months are stalling at about 40% when trying to add an offline area. Then today one downloaded, the next one stalled, the 3rd one gave a Download Failed message, the 4th is not stuck again. Seeing this in Collector and Field Maps.
https://status.arcgis.com/ says all is good.
We have a lot of users out. Have tested multiple maps, on multiple devices, on multiple networks. Thanks
As a quick update, we have been able to download map areas if left for about an hour. The progress stalls at abt the 30-50% mark for the majority of the time with a seemingly rapid conclusion.
I am getting a few that complete after like 20-30 mins but not consistent. Most never work. We opened a ticket with support as well. Tried Classic, Collector, and Field Maps. The log just says downloading with no errors.
Thank you sharing this feedback.
- Are you working on iOS or Android with Collector?
- You've indicated that this is less of an issue with Field Maps vs Collector. Is there a reason why you cannot use Field Maps instead of Collector? (Also not just for this issue, but even just in general to leverage all the new capabilities as well)
- Was this an issue that just recently started happening in Collector (vs Classic) or has it worked in the past using Collector with the same maps and services?
- Is this the only map you're experiencing download issues with or others as well?
- If possible would you be able share the web map and services with me to test on my end?
It is happening on Android and iOS. We tested 5 tablets on 5 diff networks. Even had another group on the mobile team try it and not working also.
I tested Classic, Collector, and Field Maps and all 3 are stalling.
We tested at least 5 diff maps. All the same stall at around 40%. Maps have been working for months.
We do have a second organization account and that seems to be working.
Yes I can share a test map with you. What is the group to share to again? Or user name.
Thanks for the information @DougBrowning
Just to be clear, the offline areas aren't failing necessarily, they are just really slow and taking longer than usual to complete for the same maps. Correct?
Was this something you just noticed this week or fairly recently?
It's a bit early to tell what the reason is, but we've also noticed slower than normal download behavior as well over the last couple of days. I am curious if the stalling is around the part in the download process related to the Esri basemap.
Also because you're seeing the issue across all three mobile apps, could point to an ArcGIS Online issue. However I am still trying to get more details on the issue to see if that's the case.
Currently I am seeing the same issue as will in Field Maps with a map I've used many times in the past and that I own. Very simple map using the Imagery basemap. The downloading has been processing for over 30min now.
You may hold off on sharing the map with me now...since I am likely seeing the same problem anyway.
At first I thought they were failing b/c they were taking so much longer than usual and I would cancel them. I left the basemap map downloading overnight, and also got a report from a user that a map left for several hours eventually downloaded. I verified that this morning with a download that was successful but took longer than usual--about an hour.