What does "retired" mean?

Jump to solution
12-02-2020 12:43 PM
AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

I saw the announcement about Collector being "retired" in December 2021. Does that mean that after December 2021, we will not be able to download the Collector app onto any device that does not currently have it installed? Or does it just mean that we can continue to download/use it but there will be no tech support offered after that date?

Here's why I ask: the software requirements for Field Maps are fairly high -- iOS 13.5 or Android 8.0. Now I realize that in an ideal world, everyone would be buying new tablets and Smart phones every few years, but that's not the reality. I can easily imagine local governments and non-profits having an investment in older hardware that cannot be upgraded to the latest and greatest OS. In our current economy, they are unlikely to have the funds to purchase new hardware. So, I'm wondering if Collector will still be available past December 2021 for operations that are resource poor but still want to do data collection?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DylanT_EsriCanada
Esri Contributor

Hi @AmyRoust, would you be able to share where you saw this information confirmed? 

It looks like the apps will still be available to download from the Apple and Google Play stores based on this blog article from Sept. 2021:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/field-maps/field-mobility/whats-new-in-arcgis-field-maps-s....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"retired"

Much like me... it will limp along with no upgrades or support, being replaced with newer versions until it fades away...

😂

Sorry... couldn't resist

... sort of retired...
AmyRoust

Someone marked your reply as the correct answer, but it does not answer the heart of my question, which is "So, I'm wondering if Collector will still be available past December 2021 for operations that are resource poor but still want to do data collection?" Or perhaps more clearly stated, will Collector still be available in the app stores after 12/2021?

I asked our sales rep and he indicated that Collector WILL be removed from the app stores in December 2021. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Esri Support ArcGIS Collector (iOS) 20.2.1 for iOS for instance

retired == no longer available for purchace

General Availability Phase starts when the Product is released and ends when the next version is released. A product is Retired on the date shown. 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JaimieNevins
New Contributor

Did you ever figure out if Collector will be removed from app stores in Dec?

Thanks

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

CONFIRMED: Collector will be removed from app stores in December 2021.

DylanT_EsriCanada
Esri Contributor

Hi @AmyRoust, would you be able to share where you saw this information confirmed? 

It looks like the apps will still be available to download from the Apple and Google Play stores based on this blog article from Sept. 2021:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/field-maps/field-mobility/whats-new-in-arcgis-field-maps-s....

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

I agree with what you're seeing in that blog. When I talked to our account representative back in January 2021, it was his understanding that the app would no longer be available for download in the app stores at the end of this year. I don't have that in writing, as it was shared with me in a phone conversation. So, whether we had bad information or Esri changed its mind, I don't know!

DylanT_EsriCanada
Esri Contributor

Thanks for explaining. Looks like they will still be available!

0 Kudos
MachielVan
New Contributor III

Hello Dylan, 

I submitted Esri Support Case #02938167 seeking confirmation on this topic. See the screenshot below, and PLEASE let me know if the information that was provided regarding continued access to the Collector application via the Android and iOS app stores is incorrect:

Case_Screenshot.JPG

0 Kudos