Use Survey123 Smart Form to fillout fields for existing point features in Collector?

02-21-2019 01:46 PM
JennyHuang3
New Contributor III

Hello!

i'm wondering if it's possible to do this offline:

i have an AGOL hosted feature service created through survey123 Connect and is in a web map for offline use in collector (and survey123 as well). when collecting a new data point in collector (the new collector), would it be possible to first create a point feature (get the location information) then open up survey123 smart form to fill out the field attributes of the point feature just created?

I'm new to collector/123 and their URL schemes so as detailed of an explanation as possible would be much much appreciated.

thank you in advance!!

-jenny

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Is there a reason that the point needs to be recorded in Collector first? When you start a survey record in Survey123, it automatically records the location data. You can also include a geopoint question in the survey in order to capture even more accurate location data. 

Geopoints—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Another possible solution (if I'm understanding your question correctly) is that you can integrate Collector and Survey123 by linking directly to the survey within the feature pop-up. When they click on the link in the pop-up in Collector, the linked survey will open automatically as long as they have it downloaded on their device. (I included a screenshot of one of the apps I made)

Integrate with other apps—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps!!

Best,

Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
JennyHuang3
New Contributor III

Thank you Katherine!!

The reason is that so the field crew can move the points around according to the offline basemap downloaded (which includes downloaded feature services and the esri imagery).

i guess the alternative option is for survey123 to access the offline basemap downloaded through collector but i'm not sure if it's possible. (basically avoid having to side load basemap tile package before heading out to the field each time)

thank you,

Jenny

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmmm...the link I sent did reference using offline maps in Survey123 (Use offline basemaps—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS )  but still not sure if this fits your exact needs. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help...good luck!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
JennyHuang3
New Contributor III

thank you anyways! just got the confirmation from an esri staff saying that it is not possible to use offline imagery downloaded on collector in survey123

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Cool, thanks for the update! How is that different from the workflow described in the link I sent about using offline basemaps?

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
JennyHuang3
New Contributor III

my understanding (and correct me if i'm wrong) is that for survey123, an offline basemap either needs to be side loaded onto the device (too many manual steps) or that a tile package service needs to be created (consumes too many credits). Either option simply wouldn't work for our workflow as we need to prepare offline basemaps for several projects daily.

however, i did notice the little "Note" in the link you shared. i'll have my fingers crossed for now