Updating Desktop layers from Collector field data

10-06-2015 06:14 AM
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

If I was to gather a new GPS point of a hydrant in the field using Collector, how do I add that point and field data to my local data base? I'm looking for a solution that was/is similar to when you would check data back in when using ArcPad. I want my local .mxd file to be updated with the new information from the field, but I do not want my local layers being pulled from the cloud. We are not always connected to the internet and when we are it is slow. I was told this could be done by going to "My Hosted Services" and that map change services would update the field changes to the local drive. This was called "change management". I don't see anywhere under "My Hosted Services" that I can complete this task and I can't find anything termed "change management" that relates to this topic.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

We haven't put it out in the field yet, so I anticipate some issues. I'm taking baby steps with this whole process. I'm still deciphering the process of having to take maps "offline". We are in southeast Ohio where the trees and hills do not lend themselves to consistent internet connections.

I appreciate the recommended tool. It sounds very handy. Unfortunately I think it is only for Standard and above. Maybe one of these days I'll have enough in my noggin to justify the upgrade.

0 Kudos
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

One more thing, I've heard that offline editing via desktop (what you've described) gets problematic with larger datasets, so that might not work out so well for you anyway (that might not be true anymore, but who knows until you try?)

There's always going to be a need to sync the master dataset with the field dataset. You can spend the $$ to do it "automatically" via server (and I'm betting that wont be without it's own headaches). Or you can set up a manual synchronization workflows on a fixed schedule, whether it be daily or weekly.

TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

I'll keep that in mind. We don't have a lot of data, but I'm not exactly sure what a lot is. I think the largest dataset we would have is our water meters that we are still acquiring (6900 meters) (800 valves, 600 hydrants/flush hydrants, 500 miles of watermain). I guess the main thing that we would pick up, would be new assests like water taps and meters, and repairs. Everything else, except for all of the meters have been gathered. I'm pretty much a novice at all this. I haven't had an training or classes; I'm just trying to figure this out  as I go.

I follow completely what you are saying about creating the workflow, and having to sync it back. That's good advice. Maybe doing it manually is the better way to proceed instead of having the magic button. You at least have control and an idea of what is going on with respect to writing over your data. The magic button may create a magic problem that can't be fixed. I'll heed your warning.

Thanks again Robert. I really appreciate your insight.

0 Kudos
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

You may have a typo in "Your local feature class is not updated" sentence

I follow a similar procedure, though I log on to AGOL and download the service as a file gdb (instead of creating a local copy for editing through ArcGIS). This way I have an archive of the data in case I need to fall back on anything. Also I create a backup of my "master" dataset before loading the features from AGOL. I never need these backups, until I do!