Unable to download map

01-05-2017 01:02 PM
TraceStanford1
New Contributor III

I'm trying to download a collector map for offline use, but it pops up with an error that says

"Unable to export tiles. Tiles available only for levels (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19) hence not able to export tiles for this specified levels (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14)." I've tried caching my hosted tile layer at all levels (0-19), and other level ranges as well, but I just can't get the map to download at any level of detail.  I've read in older posts that hosted tile layers are not supported for offline download. Is that still the case, or am I simply doing something wrong?

20 Replies
JillHalchin
Occasional Contributor II

Bugs. I've quit counting. 

Side-loading through iTunes works, but I'd really rather give the field crews one single workflow via download. Hopefully, they squash this one soon. 

Thanks, Dan

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jill, in that case, I would suggest you create a tile cache starting at level 0 (global). If you are publishing tiles to ArcGIS Online, there are some workflows(building a tile package) below that may not cost as much credits as other workflows:

Publish hosted tile layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

Can you elaborate on "side loading through iTunes"? I'm looking for a hack that would allow me to put my current aerials directly on our iPads so that the field crews don't have to keep downloading bits and pieces.

0 Kudos
JillHalchin
Occasional Contributor II

Amy, I just saw your question.

Side-loading consists of preparing the tile package, then use iTunes to transfer it to the appropriate app on the iPad. When you connect the iPad to iTunes, file transfer is on the Apps tab, scroll to the bottom to see which apps use this transfer method.

AmyRoust

Thanks, Jill. Any chance you could post some screen shots? I’ve looked on the iPad as well as on the desktop version of iTunes and am not finding an Apps tab or anything about file transfer beyond music and video files.

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

Never mind. I knew I would figure it out as soon as I replied. I didn't have the iPad connected to my desktop, but now that it is, I can see what you're talking about. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Amy -- Looks like the iTunes UI has changed since our doc was written (I'll work to get our doc updated). In the meantime, in the desktop version of iTunes:

1. Select your device:
  2. Under settings, select File sharing:
  3. In the Apps list, select Collector:
  4. You'll see the Collector Documents. That is where you'll drag your tile package (.tpk).
  5. Click Sync at the bottom of iTunes to copy the tile package to your device.
  6. Restart Collector on your device.

If you need more details on making the TPK, see How to create a tile package—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Esri Education Team
AmyRoust

Thank you, Kylie and Jill! Kylie, your post with screenshots is likely to be helpful to a lot more people than just me, so thank you for that level of detail! So excited to know how to load in a tile package -- this is a big win for us!

ShelbySouthworth1
New Contributor III

I don't know if there is a way to do it, but you may want to alter BUG-000089119 to include the Android platform (unless there is a separate BUG set up for Android). As of today, this is still an ongoing issue.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Shelby,

There is a separate bug for Android.

BUG-000089118: A web map does not download in Collector for ArcGIS .. 

0 Kudos