Sync asks you to "Enter valid credentials for map layer.."

06-29-2015 01:50 PM
MarkSzegner
New Contributor III

​Hi, we are trying to sync data to our ArcGIS online organisational accounts, using Collector 10.3 on iOS 8.3, but get a message saying

"Username or password invalid. Enter valid credentials for map layer <layer_name>" then prompting for a username and password.

This offline map has 4 layers, only one is editable with data that needs syncing. We put in the correct user details associated with the offline map for that device but continually get prompted for each layer (it appears to be prompting for only the non editable layers so far) it goes on and on like this and never syncs so you have to cancel the sync.

The iPads have been away with students for over a week in the field using offline maps, now returned today for syncing. The data layer is a simple point layer with several text and number fields plus quite a few attachments (photos). I did a simple test afterwards with a single feature with 1 photo attachment and get the same message, frustratingly we are sure we tested offline data collection with these maps and subsequent syncing as we've had sync issues before when we tried to use Collector in the field.

I've attached a screenshot of the message.

Anyone one come across this one?

Mark

Loughborough University

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MikeNelson4
New Contributor II

Recently had this same issue when trying to sync points taken in Collector while offline. Only one layer was set as editable. Once the iPad was back in office on wifi, logging out of Collector and logging back in seemed to solve the problem, no longer go credential popup when syncing.

LiviaBetancourtMazur
New Contributor III

This worked for me too. Which is great because getting the data from iTunes is not an option since our IT department has the mobile devices locked down and they don't let us plug into iTunes.

0 Kudos
WengNg1
New Contributor III

I have a field worker having the same issue . The issue just appeared as of yesterday when he has been out in the field for 1.5 weeks collecting and syncing data.

Tried using a better wifi , turning it back off and on again and still doesn't work.

Is the issue potentially a token thing that has expired in Collector?

0 Kudos
WengNg1
New Contributor III

For those who are still looking for a solution and are on AGOl , here is what I found worked :

1. Logging out and then logging back in fixes the issues most of the time. It has something to do with an expired token potentially.

2. Resetting the password of the named user if step 1 didn't work. 

MegHoole
Occasional Contributor III

One of our AGO members (using Enterprise sign-in) ran into this today on an Android device.  Referencing this bug BUG-000090213: In Collector for ArcGIS (iOS) 10.3.3 with multiple A..  we tried all the suggestions and no success.  The "Enter valid credentials for map layer" does not offer an enterprise sign-in option which added complexity to our problem.

• We ensured the member owned all the layers in the web map
  • ensured all the layers in the web map were editable and sync enabled
  • tried changing member's role to "admin"
  • but no luck....still got "Enter valid credentials for map layer" prompt
  • Next, we created a temporary non-enterprise named user account with admin role.
    • when she tried to sync (signed in with her enterprise account), she was again prompted to Enter valid credentials for map layer.  Here she entered the non-enterprise named user account with admin role credentials and voila - the map synced