Point collection locked to GPS-position on iOS 7 - bug

01-16-2014 01:48 AM
JohnZachariassen
New Contributor II
We have tried Collector 10.2 on iPad2 (iOS 7.0.4) and noticed a bug.
The service is on an ArcGIS Server 10.2.1. Under service properties -> 'Feature acces' the 'Allow geometry updates' is disabled.
While collecting a new point, it is locked to the gps-position. Nothing happens by tapping the map in order to move the point, that we want to create. If the 'Allow geometry updates' is enabled, the point is not locked to the gps-position.

We have tried the same on an Android device with the same version of Collector. There the point, that we want to create is not locked to the gps-position. This is the behaviour we expect.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Because the feature does not allow geometry update the feature gets locked into the initial position and cannot be updated.If you do not want to collect a feature at the GPS location you can do a long press on the map and on the white callout tap the arrow and on the options that popup tap Collect Here and that will let you collect the point at that defined location that is not your GPS location but you will not be able to update it after it has been created.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Russ
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Also you could disable the update capability and just use Create Delete Query which will allow your field crew to create features and move them, delete features and then query them to get the popup info.

Russ
0 Kudos
JohnZachariassen
New Contributor II
Because the feature does not allow geometry update the feature gets locked into the initial position and cannot be updated.If you do not want to collect a feature at the GPS location you can do a long press on the map and on the white callout tap the arrow and on the options that popup tap Collect Here and that will let you collect the point at that defined location that is not your GPS location but you will not be able to update it after it has been created.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Russ

Thank you for the answer Russ.
On Android-devices the feature is not locked to the gps-position while it is being collected and therefore we can tap on the map to move the point we are going to create - this is the behaviour we expect.

On our iPad I have tried to do a long press, but no white callout appears.
0 Kudos
JohnZachariassen
New Contributor II
Also you could disable the update capability and just use Create Delete Query which will allow your field crew to create features and move them, delete features and then query them to get the popup info.

Russ

This would not be suitable, because the field workers must be able to update the attributes.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Here are the steps for "Collect Here". you will need to have the latest version of Collector that is available in the app store or play store.

Let me know if this helps you out.
Russ
0 Kudos
JohnZachariassen
New Contributor II
This is the approach we have used:
open map > open the 'Collect a new feature'-menu > select the type of feature to collect
This is where the position is locked to the GPS-position.

We tried a different approach:
open map > long press on the map
And that's when the callout appears and gives us the option 'Collect here'.

I prefer the way Android-devices do this.

Thanks a lot, Russ!

John
0 Kudos