No option to download offline maps. How do i enable offline map downloading in arcgis online?

02-06-2018 10:40 AM
ColeChapman
New Contributor II

Been struggling with this for awhile now, as help topics only show the application side of how to download offline base maps, but not on the arcgis online side. How do i enable offline downloading? Currently, all my maps in the collector app do not have the "Download" button available. What are the steps needed in arcgis online to make a map available for offline use? 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This documentation may help:

Take maps offline—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

To take a map offline, all the layers, including the basemap and reference layers, must be enabled for offline use. Esri basemaps are automatically enabled for offline use. You can enable the following types of map layers for offline use:

-Cached map services with Export tiles enabled (from ArcGIS Server 10.3 or later)—Check the Allow clients to export cache tiles box in Advanced Settings.

-Feature services (from ArcGIS Server 10.3 or later)—Choose the Query and Sync options to enable offline use. If you want the data to be editable, you must also choose any combination of Create, Delete, and Update.

-Hosted feature layers—Check the Enable Sync box on the Settings tab of the item page.

-Hosted tile layers—Check the Enable offline mode box on the Settings tab of the item page

MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I am not sure if this will solve your problem, but I had a similar problem.

It is my understanding that with the current version of Collector, you are unable to take Esri's Vector Tile Basemaps offline (this will change soonish I gather). So currently you will need to author your web maps with the older Raster Tile Basemaps.

However, if your organisational account manager has opted to enable "Use Esri vector basemaps in supported ArcGIS apps" in your organisational account settings, then you wont able to add the older raster-based basemaps to your maps as only the newer vector tile maps are provided by default in the basemap switcher for your AGOL account and maps. This means you cant take them offline when you open these maps in Collector.

Your administrator should unselect the above option and then you need to open your maps, add in a new basemap, save, then you should be able to take the maps offline. 

But all of this still requires that you follow Dan Moore's advice on configuring the maps in AGOL for offline use.

KateCarlson
Occasional Contributor

Mervyn-

Thanks for the explanation on why the vector tile basemaps are not downloadable yet and that the raster tiles are.  Does anybody know when the vector tiles will be downloadable?  We have enabled the vector tiles for our organization, seems like the right thing to do for all other AGOL uses, but for Collector not so great.  Does anyone know if it is possible to pull in a raster tile basemap for the living atlas to download?  Think I will try that....

Kate

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kate,

Vector tiles will be supported for download in the new Collector that is slated to come out soon. The new Collector will be a separate download in the iOS app store. Android and Windows releases will be coming later and Android is currently in beta.

0 Kudos
KateCarlson
Occasional Contributor

Great, thank you for the quick reply, Dan!

Kate

0 Kudos
ECECGIS
New Contributor II

I tried all those things mentioned above, to no avail. 

But then I changed the base map from OpenStreetMap (which was displaying in AGO) to Google Street Map, saved the map in AGO, then refreshed the Collector map list and BOOM! the little cloud button appeared.

ESRI should be paying for my high blood pressure meds.

LorinCrandall1
New Contributor III

Bloomin' Basemap Blindside Batman! That was it! That was the problem, changed the basemap and Boom, the map was available for download. Seems like this kind of issue can pop up throughout ESRI, ran into a very similar problem using model builder, where some unseen setting was buggered by a model node that had been deleted in the process but still impacted other parts of the model. 

0 Kudos