Multiple Copies of Layers in Offline Mode

07-22-2018 09:49 PM
WengNg1
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm trying to bring bring layers offline and realise that when I make a copy of a layer and configure the popups or filters, the offline version of the layer doesn't work as intended. 

I realised after looking for a solution is that I need to create a hosted feature view in order for it to work properly. This was somewhat cumbersome as I have multiple copies of the dataset that I wanted to add to my offline map. 

On top of that, the views that I create in Offline mode also does not update the parent feature layer after editing although it is coming from the same dataset. It doesn't seem to recognise any parent/child relationship .

Are there any workarounds this issue which prevents Collector from behaving strangely when going Offline without going into hosted feature views? I don't really require any filters but if I could just get away by configuring the popups of multiple copies of the same layer, that'd be great.

Thanks,

Weng

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Weng -- Did you check out this post: Take the same layer offline twice in Collector using feature layer views?

Could you clarify for me what you mean by:   

This was somewhat cumbersome as I have multiple copies of the dataset that I wanted to add to my offline map.

Using a hosted feature layer view doesn't create a new copy of the dataset, but allows different uses of the same data.

You also wrote: 
the views that I create in Offline mode also does not update the parent feature layer after editing although it is coming from the same dataset. It doesn't seem to recognise any parent/child relationship

Could you explain a bit here? What are you doing to create views in offline mode, or do you mean when you create features while offline? Could you explain the data you are using, and the parent/child relationship and which features you are making offline?

Thanks,

Kylie

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
WengNg1
New Contributor III

Hi Kylie,

Please find clarification below : 

Could you clarify for me what you mean by:   

This was somewhat cumbersome as I have multiple copies of the dataset that I wanted to add to my offline map.

Using a hosted feature layer view doesn't create a new copy of the dataset, but allows different uses of the same data.

What I meant was everytime I want to copy a layer and add additional filters, I have to create a hosted view in order for Offline mode to work as intended on Collector. For example, if I want to copy a layer twice and filter and differently, I have to(as an owner) of the layer create 2 views and add them into the map.

the views that I create in Offline mode also does not update the parent feature layer after editing although it is coming from the same dataset. It doesn't seem to recognise any parent/child relationship

Could you explain a bit here? What are you doing to create views in offline mode, or do you mean when you create features while offline? Could you explain the data you are using, and the parent/child relationship and which features you are making offline?

Following the example previously, say if I want 3 copies of the same layers, I will need to create 3 views and add them into my map.  As I update layer 1, layer 2 and 3 does not update accordingly as it doesn't recognise that all 3 layers are from the same layer. So in offline mode, the relationships are not really recognised . However , if I ignore the fact that filters are not supported and went ahead and just made a copy of the layer and bring it offline , the layers dynamically updates in offline mode as it knows it is the same layer. 

Regards,

Weng

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Weng,

Could you give a bit more detail on this:

Following the example previously, say if I want 3 copies of the same layers, I will need to create 3 views and add them into my map.  As I update layer 1, layer 2 and 3 does not update accordingly as it doesn't recognise that all 3 layers are from the same layer. So in offline mode, the relationships are not really recognised . However , if I ignore the fact that filters are not supported and went ahead and just made a copy of the layer and bring it offline , the layers dynamically updates in offline mode as it knows it is the same layer. 

Are you updating layer 1 in Collector, and not seeing the change in layer 2 or layer 3 also in Collector? Do you have a refresh interval set on layers 2 and 3 in your map? To see if you have a refresh interval, open your map in Map Viewer in the browser, click More Options and choose Refresh Interval.

In this image, there is no refresh interval set. If set, it would have a checkmark and a value for how often to refresh.

Esri Education Team