Map Failed To Download

03-25-2014 04:54 PM
NicholasLaMar
New Contributor III
I've been trying to test the offline editing capabilities of collector but I can't get the map to download to my devices. I've created a very simple map on ArcGIS Online with one point shapefile which I've uploaded and created a feature service of. Both the feature service and map are enabled for offiline editing and I get the download icon for the map to appear when I open up Collector. I can go through the process of selecting the area I'm intersted in and setting the map scale. Once I hit download it processes anywhere from 20%-50% and then I get this error "The map failed to download The map 'xxxxx' failed to download with the message:" (there is no message).

I've tried downloading from two different wifi connections as well as from my wireless network.

Devices: Samsung Galaxy S3 and Samsung Note 10.1

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
55 Replies
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III
Where are you seeing the download fail? Is your map 100% compliant with being downloadable i.e has only 10.2.2 ArcGIS Server services with sync or export tiles enabled or you have hosted feature services with sync enabled?

Russ

Please add a "me too"

Just upgraded to 10.2.2 to enable offline collection.

New un-versioned layer, with archiving enabled, Global ID activated (as per instructions).  Published as feature service with sync ticked.

Published using ArcGIS desktop 10.2.2

Edits work fine when connected.

Cannot download - as OP "error message:" there is no message.

Also, and may be related, I can't load any attachments when online.  Fails twice with error message, then crashes app.

Using Android app.

Crash logs sent.

ACM
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
OK - I have got it working.  How?  Well I created a new layer in Webmercator, as opposed to our local projection of BNG/27700

All works fine (other bugs, glitches and annoyances excepted)

It even allowed me to upload a photo.

SO, another instance of Esri not writing software for a world market?  Or just an oversight?

ACM

Edit - more info.  It may be down to the Client that creates the layer.  My first layer was created in 10.1 - I then used 10.2.2 to enable archiving as it appears that you cannot have archiving on unversioned data in 10.1

This failed.

My next test layer was created in 10.2.2 and worked.

I've not the time at the moment to test this theory.  One observation that IS very important is that once you have a layer that is unversioned AND archiving switched on, you cannot open it in 10.1 clients.  This is a major hold up for us, as we are stuck on 10.1 due to  a third party AcEngine application that is in 10.1
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
OK - I had time to test it and it is as I guessed.

The failed layer was created in the 10.1 Enterprise database using a 10.1 client, but then had the relevant tweaks needed for offline editing made in a 10.2.2 client

The successful layer was created in the same 10.1 Enterprise database but from a 10.2.2 client.

Using this approach I have a layer that I can edit and sync from Collector, but is totally useless as my 10.1 clients cannot view it!

Doh! <face palm>

ACM
0 Kudos
LukeBehling
Occasional Contributor
amardsen
I did the same changes and was successful. Unfortunately, 10.1 clients can't view, so looks like this works, just can't be used until we get the rest of the organization up to at least 10.2.x.

I don't like that this capability can't use versioned data, I feel that it will compromise the data quality when the feature class needs to be used in the office as well as in the field by multiple editors.
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
It did surprise me when I saw it needed unversioned data - I was on "auto-pilot" setting the layer up and set it to be versioned at first, it was only reading the notes that I saw it needed unversioned.

Luckily the datasets I'm looking at are single user ones (for editing) so hopefully that'll work.  It'll be interesting to test to see how it handles two edits from differnt handhelds.

Also fails - a shapefile imported into 10.1 Enterprise database in a 10.2.2 client.  Creating the layer directly seems to only way
0 Kudos
RobertRayner1
New Contributor III
I also am having many issues with maps failing to download.  I am using server 10.2.2, and even creating a feature class and copying/pasting data in, enabling archiving, adding globalIDs, and sharing it properly, it will fail.
The map on AGOL say's it's available for offline use, I can click start to download it on the Android 10.2.3 collector app, but it always comes up with the "failed to download, error message: no error message." When I remove that layer, I can download and sync with
other layers.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Make sure your data model is not using and SQL reserved words or Geodatabase reserved words. This can cause a download failure. If possible try creating a replica from the feature service as well to see if that works.

Thanks
Russ
0 Kudos
NicholasLaMar
New Contributor III
Just as a follow up to my original post. We were finally able to get the downloads to work. I had to completely un-install and re-install Collector on both devices. Since then things are working well. Seems like others are having similar issues, not sure if you've tried the the un-install option? Can't say it will work for everyone, but it's solved our issues.....for now.

Ryan
0 Kudos
LukeBehling
Occasional Contributor
New problem today....users can't edit when in a connected mode, yet are still able to edit when disconnected. This worked yesterday! Tried uninstalling the collector app, didn't work. So went back, created a brand new dataset and feature class, published, added to AGOL, now it works connected --- but won't download so can't use disconnected!!!

Nothing changed on our servers overnight, no updates to any of the services, c'mon ESRI!
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
If you still have the map and service causing issues with the editing can you share them to a group and invite Collector4ArcGIS into that group? Make sure you are not using Editor Tracking and Ownership controls on a hosted service. This is not supported in the apps and could cause some issues. How is it not downloading? Are you not seeing the download button or are you getting an error message back when a download fails? If you are getting an error message back what is it.

Thanks!
Russ
0 Kudos