Labels not showing in Collector Map

Jump to solution
07-30-2014 07:35 AM
RichardAbram
New Contributor III

I have a published map on ArcGIS Online with labeling turned on for 1 feature class.  I can see the labels in the map in ArcGIS Online but the labels do not display when viewing the map in Collector.  Is this a limitation of labeling?

40 Replies
MariusKokko
New Contributor II

As we are running the Standard license the Feature Outline Masks tool is not available to us. Is there any other workaround for this issue? Can I somehow convert labels or annotations to raster symbols or something like that?

TiffanyTuro
New Contributor III

I found this while trying to work around this problem.  It seemed reasonable, and the other solutions weren't working for me, so I tried to publish this- then it told me I would be exceeding my credits available by 1114%.  I have around 850 credits now, so this is clearly a big draw of credits- beware.  Seems tacky of esri to have the only workaround to a problem be a costly one.  Obviously we would all like to label things in our maps- that's what we do.  Sheesh.

Problem: Unable to view labels enabled for hosted feature services in the Collector for ArcGIS application for Android and iOS

Description

Labels enabled for a hosted feature service using the Create Labels option in ArcGIS Online do not display when the same hosted feature service is accessed in the Collector for ArcGIS application for Android and iOS.

Cause

This is a known limit.

Solution or Workaround

To view labels in the Collector for ArcGIS application, label the map in ArcMap instead of ArcGIS Online.

1. In ArcMap, add labels to the map and publish the map as a tiling service by following the instructions in the ArcGIS Online Help: Publish tiles document.
  2. In ArcGIS Online, add the entire map service with the URL ending in </MapServer> to a blank web map.
  3. Add the feature service in addition to the map service. Do not configure the labels in ArcGIS Online.
  4. Save the web map and open it in the Collector for ArcGIS application.
Service_SIGEPI
New Contributor

Thank you.

Now I see the labels but when I add the feature service in addition to the map service, the sync option on collector is not possible.

When I add only the feature service the sync in Collector is possible.

Do you have the same problem ?

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

When I do this I see my labels however in Collector I am unable to select any features to apply edits.

0 Kudos
AliBarakat
Occasional Contributor II

russell_roberts-esristaffDParnellesriaustralia-com-au-esridist

Hello guys! did u find a solution for the labeling on Collector?

Note: I am using a feature class with sync capability to be used offline.

Please let me know if we have a solution.

Thanks in advance  

AliBarakat
Occasional Contributor II

also adding bpierce-esristaff

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin

When I do the steps below:

1. In ArcMap, add labels to the map and publish the map as a tiling service by following the instructions in the ArcGIS Online Help: Publish tiles document.
  2. In ArcGIS Online, add the entire map service with the URL ending in </MapServer> to a blank web map.
  3. Add the feature service in addition to the map service. Do not configure the labels in ArcGIS Online.
  4. Save the web map and open it in the Collector for ArcGIS application.

I can see my labels in Collector however I am unable to select any features to apply edits.....

ESRI this is a huge drawback..... collector was made for editing/data creation and users need to see labels on maps that have a large amount of features.....

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin

You have to create 2 separate services, 1st service being only a map service and the 2nd service being a feature access service.

this is a HUGE drawback because now my server has twice as many resources being consumed..... fix this! 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's absurd ESRI not enabling labels on Collector App. I miss ArcPAD so much!!!

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor