Keep Collecting when no Service?

02-14-2013 08:01 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III
Can anyone tell me if the Collector can still collect events when the device is not connected to a network, and push them when it gets back into network coverage?

I cannot find any documentation on this.

Thanks,
--Adam
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
Adam,

Thanks for the question, currently the collector works within a connected environment only. Offline workflows however will be supported in later releases.  See below for an update on offline from the ArcGIS for Android forums

All,

First thank you to everyone that has posted on this thread regarding the need and importance of offline data support within our mobile product offerings. We are currently in development of these capabilities and fully understand the need to release support for offline use ASAP!!

We also need to make sure we get it right! We need to deliver offline capabilities across multiple platforms with a common API and strategy that is well represented throughout the ArcGIS system (Mobile, Desktop, Server, Cloud). Doing it right means that you can move data seamlessly between your enterprise database and field devices without the need to move transform into other data formats when moving between platforms. That is what we are working on now.

We will announce updates to our schedule and release of cross-platform offline capabilities (with details on what will/will not be supported) at our upcoming Developer Summit (http://www.esri.com/events/devsummit/index.html) during the week of March 25th. Thank you for your patience.

Jeff
0 Kudos
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III
Thank you!
0 Kudos
DavidStrip
New Contributor II
what's the status of this issue? I looked over the current docs and found nothing to indicate that Collector keeps working when it can't connect. Likewise, the sticky post at the top says nothing on this topic. We're many months past the March Dev Summit. Was anything announced (positive or negative) on this issue.

I'm more than a little surprised at a design that fails to work in no service zones, but maybe that's because I live in New Mexico where a large fraction of the state has no service and my primary mapping interests are in rural or forested areas.
0 Kudos
TomNeer
New Contributor III
Offline data collection is mandatory. Just wasted an hour running through the demo in ArcUser to find out there is no offline mode. It's getting old. If a handful of developers can produce a slick iOS/Android data collection application, why can't Redlands?
0 Kudos