Is there a way to increase the available download size and area from within Collector to avoid being halted with "Reduce level of detail or extent"?

Jump to solution
06-29-2018 11:02 AM
MatthewDuffy
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way to increase the available download size and area from within Collector to avoid being halted with "Reduce level of detail or extent"?  I have got additional micro SD memory for my Samsung Galaxy Tab A in order to download a large area at a high detail, but it seems to throw this message whenever my area and detail level are above ~850Mb.  Is there a way to increase the available download size to be say, 3Gb?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewDuffy

Its doesnt seem like there is away to do this, but I was able to generate and download a map that was almost 1Gb in size on disk.  However, there does not see to be a way to adjust the allowable limits of Collector, at least not that I have found to this point anyway.  Love to hear any further information on this, if anyone knows anything more, I'll be grateful to hear.  Thanks much

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MatthewDuffy

Its doesnt seem like there is away to do this, but I was able to generate and download a map that was almost 1Gb in size on disk.  However, there does not see to be a way to adjust the allowable limits of Collector, at least not that I have found to this point anyway.  Love to hear any further information on this, if anyone knows anything more, I'll be grateful to hear.  Thanks much

0 Kudos
MatthewDuffy

Thank you Dan Moore‌ it seems that this is an unavoidable limit if you are only using ArcGIS Online and the solution or workaround involves the need for hosting your own ArcGIS Server. 

Below is from the link you provided, I remain grateful for all of your effort, cheers!

"

Cause

There is no limitation on the maximum size of a web map that can be downloaded for offline use in Collector for ArcGIS. However, the size of the basemap that is exported with the web map can reach a limit which can cause the download to fail. Basemap services are configured by default to prevent the export of more than 100,000 tiles. Depending on the work area and the map detail defined for the basemap, this limit can be reached when downloading a web map for offline use.

Solution or Workaround

The maximum count of tiles that can be exported for download cannot be modified on ArcGIS Online Basemap Services.

However, when basemaps or cached map services are hosted locally with ArcGIS Server, this parameter can be increased using the ArcGIS REST API. For more information, refer to the following documentation, ArcGIS REST API: Export Tiles.

"

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Matthew,

There is a limit for 100,000 tiles that can be exported from ArcGIS Online basemaps. You can sideload a basemap that has either a larger area or more detail to circumvent this issue.

0 Kudos
MatthewDuffy

Thank you for the replyDan Moore I am grateful to communicate with you on this issue. 

Unless I've missed something, this is exactly what I attempted to do and was still limited to right around 1Gb.  Is there a procedure to "sideload a basemap" that I'm missing or something?  I attempted to increase the area and detail of the downloadable basemap to the additional memory device. Any thoughts on what I'm missing here or, is this a hard limit on the download file?

Many thanks again

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you using an Esri basemap or your own basemap? Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
MatthewDuffy

We are using ESRI world imagery within our webmap that was made available for offline download, consistent with the link you provided.  When we do this, we are limited to about a 1Gb download of the map file or we err.

0 Kudos