Is Collector compatible with a Trimble R1 GNSS receiver using the Trimble Viewpoint RTX correction service?

06-30-2015 02:30 PM
AmandaRenner
New Contributor II

Does anyone know if you can use the Trimble Viewpoint RTX correction service with a Trimble R1 GNSS receiver and Collector?  I'm having trouble finding any documentation on it.  Trimble mentions that it is compatible with all of their data collection apps like TerraFlex but I'm not seeing any other non-Trimble software on the list.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
45 Replies
MarkYerington
Occasional Contributor III

We have also tested our Trimble R8 survey accurate unit and have found it

to collect even better results through collector using the GNSS status

app. The R8 does not bluetooth to our IOS devices for some reason though,

but android is fine. Have you tried using GNSS status and an R1 with the

built in RTX. I would of thought it would of collected everything based

on the mock location, and when using GNSS status the GPS should be

whatever the connected device is. You could always talk to your vendor,

we use Seiler and they are starting to get results for the R1, which

doesn't have a lot of testing since it is so new.

Mark Yerington, GISP

MAGIC GIS Systems Analyst

3205 CEDAR ST | MUSCATINE, IA 52761

PH: 563.262.3316 | CELL: 563.260.4525

JenniferStarbuck1
New Contributor III

How did you get the R8 to show up in the GNSS status app. I can see that its is bluetoothed with the android (Samsung phone) but I am not seeing it in the GNSS app. The firmware is up to date on the R8.

JulindaDyli1
New Contributor

Dear Mark,

i saw you are well informed about the collector and R1.Can i asked you smth?  I have done all the steps as is said on the Trimble manual . I can't select SBAS correction bcz this doesn't work in Africa. On GNSS UTILITY  i have just 3 choices: SBAS, INTERNET & UNCORRECTED. How can i have a correction that covers AFRICA?

0 Kudos
MarkYerington

Julinda,

I am not sure what corrections are available in Africa.  Maybe someone from Trimble would be able to help with options for Africa.

Sorry

0 Kudos
JulindaDyli1
New Contributor

Hello Mark,

I found the correction. In ViewPoint RTX via satellite. Take the code directly to the vendor of the GNSS or take a trail code . There is an option at GNSS status "receiver option" where you put this code.The problem is here is not visualized if the code works or not.In this case installing TerraFlex allows your to check the code and even use the TerraFlex for correction since the correction goes on the signal so all signals will get correction

Regards,

Julinda

0 Kudos
AlbertoMillan_Melendez
New Contributor II

Thanks for the information Mark

0 Kudos
AmandaRenner
New Contributor II

Thanks for your assistance on this Mark.  I found this description of how to connect Collector to the R1:

How do I connect the R1 to my iOS device for use in Collector?
Getting your iOS device connected to an R1 through Bluetooth may seem intimidating, but it can be achieved through a few simple steps.

• Download the Collector for ArcGIS app and Trimble GNSS Status Utility off of the app store. Both of these apps will be free to download.
  • Connect the R1 receiver to you iOS device with Bluetooth. On the R1, push and hold the power button until the left LED light flashes blue. On your iOS device go to Settings>Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth on. The R1 should now show in your Devices list as GNSS:<last five digits of the R1 serial number>. Tap on the R1 in the Device list to connect.
  • Open the GNSS Status Utility. If necessary, tap on No Receiver Connected. Select the R1 and tap on the plugs to establish the connection.
  • If you are interested in using the SBAS corrections for higher accuracy, you will need to set it in the GNSS Status Utility. Tap Menu to bring up your options and go to Real-time Config. Edit the setting to change it to SBAS. Now, if you go to the Home screen, you should start to see your accuracy decrease as it connects to the SBAS satellite correction.  If you want to see the SBAS satellites you are currently tracking, go to Detailed Status in the Menu. You will see a satellite count under Satellites by System.
  • The GNSS Status Utility automatically creates a mock location for Collector to use. When you open the Collector app, it should be connected to the R1 and no settings have to be changed. If you want to test that you are connected to the R1, set it on the ground and walk away with your iOS device. Your position in Collector should stay stationary as you move.

Thanks again,

Amanda

MarkYerington

That is it for the ios platform, with androids you have to go into developer options and changes some settings, but there is a lot of help out there on how to establish mock locations.

This should get you up and running, and I have not tried SBAS.  We have the free VRS real-time service available through the DOT so we always try to use this.  Just wanted everyone to know that the results above are not from SBAS.

0 Kudos
MarkYerington

Sorry Amanda I replied to Alberto and not you

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

SBAS or real-time base station will work with Collector. But currently RTX correction source doesn't work with Collector.