How do you start Collector when you don't have an Internet connection?

04-27-2016 04:07 PM
ScottMcGee
Occasional Contributor

I'm brand new to Collector, so maybe I'm missing something.

I know Collector can be used when you're not connected to the Internet. I created a map in ArcGIS Online, made sure my iPad was connected to the Internet, then downloaded the map to the iPad for offline use. Then, to learn the process for collecting data while offline, I signed out of ArcGIS Online and turned off the iPad's Internet connection (to simulate being out in a remote area that has no Internet connection). Next, I went outside and started Collector. It presented the opening screen, prompting me to sign in to either ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS. But in order to sign in, the iPad has to be connected to the Internet. So if you're out in the middle of nowhere without an Internet connection, how in the world do you get past the sign in screen so that Collector starts up and you can use it?

6 Replies
ScottMcGee
Occasional Contributor

Interesting. Over 100 people have viewed this question, but no responses yet.

Hasn't anyone else run into this issue? How can you use Collector when you don't have an Internet connection, because it requires an Internet connection in order to sign in before you can use it? Classic Catch-22 situation.

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Scott - I think it's the logging out that's stopping you here. If you take a map offline, stay logged in and kill your connection / turn on airplane mode / etc. then you should be able to use your offline map. I'd guess that Collector won't function unless you're logged in as someone - and to login you'll need a data connection.

BertKraan1

So what you're saying Pete,

When I have to reboot my ipad, either because of an iOS update or while the battery went flat (happens quite often), I can only make use of collector after going online to log in?

That's bad. We use Ipad airs without phone card because we only need the gps function and phone coverage is bad in our vast terrain. Maps are synchronised using wifi when in the office. But if I understand correctly we should probably provide our fieldworkers with phonecards to save them a trip to the office after the battery went flat....

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier

If you reboot your device then that shouldn't log you out of Collector, it doesn't on Android anyway. If you open Collector without a data connection, but still logged in, then it should show you a list of the maps you've previously taken offline.

0 Kudos
BertKraan1

Pete,

You are correct! The maps that are available offline and previously downloaded to my iPad are still available after  a powerdown/reboot.

Collector even seems to refuse me to log off while in airplane mode so to prevent me from locking myself out.

Bert

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Be sure to vote for Sync Collector for ArcGIS via USB! It shouldn't be this hard to perform two-way sync with collector. ArcPad does it (which is going away), why not Collector?

0 Kudos