Has anybody else experienced issues with collector loading map on galaxy tab s3. works fine with iPad using the same login. when i try with the galaxy it just spins

12-01-2017 10:57 AM
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

Has anybody else experienced issues with collector loading map on galaxy tab s3. works fine with iPad using the same login. when i try with the galaxy it just spins.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Erik,

Thank you for that response. I am still looking into this issue.

Thanks

-Kevin

0 Kudos
KeithChappell1
New Contributor

Erik/Kevin,

I'm glad that I found this post, working with Collector on Android today I noticed the following:

- Collector crashing frequently.  I seemed to notice it the most when navigating from the map screen to the map list

- Layer list (in the Collect) menu loading inconsistently.  When there are a lot of layers in the map, the Collect menu will 'refresh' and show all of the layers

- Layers loading inconsistently.  Sometimes all layers draw, sometimes none.  Tried testing web maps with all layer types (point, line, poly), only point layers, etc.  

In my case I am working with ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5, Portal and Server are federated, referencing data from PostgreSQL.  All web maps load fine on iOS (iPhone 6S) and in web.  I am working with a customer that tried the same web maps on their Android phone/tablet devices and experience was the same.  Have tried uninstalling the app and factory-resetting one of the tablets with no change in behavior.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Tim,

Thank you for sharing that information.

Although the behavior you're describing may point to the same underlying issue, I just want to make sure this is the same as what Erik is running into also:

- Are you working with your own custom basemaps or using the ESRI basemaps? If both were tried, please explain the behavioral differences, if any.

- Does Collector crash when simply trying to launch the free maps in the 'Try it' account? Such as the GNSS Capture map?

- Are you also working with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3?

- What was the initial Android OS version of your S3?

- What version did you upgrade it to?

- Did this issue happen only after the tablet was upgraded to the new OS version?

Thank you for that information.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
TimothyMichael
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Kevin, 

I'll do my best to answer:

• So far we have only been using Esri's base maps
  • I tried two of the free maps and they appeared to work OK - no app crashes
  • I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A
  • The Android version on the Tab A is 7.1.1.  The customer I am working with reset their device during troubleshooting, but I think it was already at 7.1.1 (no upgrade)
  • N/A

I have also opened a case for this (#02033440).

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Tim,

Thank you for that information. I have reviewed your support case and have actually signed into your portal using our test credentials and have reproduced this issue.

With regards to the original issue that Erik is running into, this issue seems to be different. The reason being is because Erik is experiencing the maps not loading at all and the basemaps not drawing. Also the free maps crash the app. Thus Collector cannot be ran successfully on the Tab S3.

In this case, you're seeing layers not loading in the map, but the map still opens overall and doesn't just continue to hang on loading.

Therefore I will treat your issue differently from Erik's.

With regards to my testing of your maps, I am also using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A - running 7.0

- The loading of the layers seems intermittent, meaning that sometimes layers that didn't load when the map was last opened will load the next time its launched. I am still investigating this behavior.

- After having opened the map, the app crashes when returning to the map gallery. Are you seeing this crash also?

I will continue to look into this issue and provide any feedback to the analyst you're already working with.

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
TimothyMichael

Kevin,

Thank you for the continued follow-ups.  On your items

• I have experienced the intermittent layer loading.  I have also noticed that the layer list in the 'Collect New' pane will sometimes not show all layers in the map until the map extent is changed via pan/zoom.
  • Yes, I have experienced the issue of Collector crashing when navigating from the map to the map gallery.

Thanks!

Tim

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Tim,

Thank you for that information. I will continue looking into this issue on my end and working with the analyst as well.

Thanks

-Kevin

0 Kudos
MatthewDuffy

"When I try to open a map with one of our basemaps, collector will just spin and the layers list will pop up, but the map wont load." - I am having this issue too

0 Kudos
MatthewDuffy

https://community.esri.com/message/717040-re-collector-will-not-load-maps-on-android-70?commentID=71...

Check your devices Zoom And Font Settings and ensure they're not any bigger than Michael suggests in the post above

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Erik,

As a follow-up, we're looking into getting a Tab S3 device, to hopefully reproduce this issue with. I will keep you posted.

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos