Has anybody else experienced issues with collector loading map on galaxy tab s3. works fine with iPad using the same login. when i try with the galaxy it just spins

12-01-2017 10:57 AM
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III

Has anybody else experienced issues with collector loading map on galaxy tab s3. works fine with iPad using the same login. when i try with the galaxy it just spins.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Erik,

Was the Android OS on that device recently upgraded or is it the original OS version is was purchased with?

What version of Android is it currently running?

As a test, can you launch Collector and sign into the 'Try it' account to access the free maps. Can you open any of those?

Thanks

-Kevin

0 Kudos
ErikBlake

I just updated it to the latest version it didn't work with the os that it came with or the new version

currently at 7.0

the free maps don't load either

0 Kudos
ErikBlake

Kevin

even when i try to load the free maps, collector crashes

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Thanks Erik. I am going to try locating a similar device to test with.

0 Kudos
ErikBlake

Thanks Kevin I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
ErikBlake

Kevin

Just an FYI, I was able to open the maps no problem through a web browser on the device. It is only in collector that seems to be having the issue. When I try to open a map with one of our basemaps, collector will just spin and the layers list will pop up, but the map wont load. But if I try to open a map with an esri basemap it crashes collector.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Erik,

Thank you for that information. I haven't been able to locate an S3 here, we have an S2 that works fine.

I would assume you've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling Collector?

We've seen similar issues when upgrading certain Android devices to a newer OS version. The new OS version itself is not the problem, just rather the upgrade process itself. Here is more information about that issue - Bug: Upgrading some devices to Android OS version 7.x may not allow existing web maps to be opened w... 

The difference between that issue and the one you're running into, is that you said it wasn't working out-of-the-box with the factory OS nor the new OS when upgraded. The issue above only happened after upgrading the OS.

The behavior though was similar, none of the maps would open, you would just continue receiving the loading feedback. But the maps weren't crashing either.

What was the original OS version and what is the new, current, version?

In the case of the issue above, the only way to resolve that issue is to perform a factory reset of the Android device and reinstall Collector. Again this was due to the OS upgrade process.

Provided you've backed-up any data off that device first, would you be able to try performing a factory reset and then reinstalling Collector?

From my experience, since I ran into that other issue when upgrading my Samsung Galaxy Tab A from 6.0.1 to 7.0, is that after performing the factory reset, it kept 7.0 installed and did not revert back to 6.0.1. Therefore that might happen in this case as well, where the new OS remains installed. In my case, Collector worked fine after the reset.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

-Kevin

ErikBlake

Kevin

Thanks for the info. So I am not sure what version it was shipped with. I did not look I just updated it to the newest one 7.0 but if i had to guess I am going to say that shipped with 6.0.1 since the tab s3 is the newest tablet. But I could be wrong. I will try the factory reset and keep you posted on the results.

0 Kudos
ErikBlake

Kevin

So I did the factory reset and I am still getting the same behavior, where the map doesn't load but the layers list shows up. Then when I try to load a map with an esri basemap it crashes the app

0 Kudos