External GPS: COM port is in use

09-11-2017 10:57 PM
HughWyn-Harris
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am trying to connect our Leica GG04 to Collector through a virtual serial port driver but collector is not opening the port and is saying it is in use.

However when I use another program to open the virtual COM port it shows the NMEA message being streamed. 

Any Ideas,

Thanks 

Hugh 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hugh.

Collector is an UWP application. It can't access virtual COM port directly. 

For GG04 to work with Collector, you need to download this tool: 

GPSComplete: GPSDirect,GPSReverse, LocationFixer GPS NMEA Windows 7 Windows 8 Windows 10 Sensor Driv... 

- Open the tool and Tap on Sensor Driver -> Install

- Select the virtual port you defined in the Com0Com application 

- Tap onto Comport Driver -> Install

- Select the NMEA message you want to receive (you will notice it doesn't have GST sentence, which means the accuracy report from the receiver will be missing)

- Then you can use Zeno Connect with Collector app. 

-Morgan 

HughWyn-Harris
New Contributor II

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for your reply, so is there no way to for Collector to read the GST sentence from Zeno Connect even though the GG04 can output the GST message through Zeno Connect?

Is there a way to create a COM port that Zeno Connect can output the full NMEA message and the Collector App can recognise it?

Or is the way you described above the only way to connect the GG04 to Collector

Thanks 

MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hugh,

Currently that is the only way I am aware of.

If Zeno Connect app could create a location sensor like GPSComplete does and support GST, that could be the way. But Zeno Connect doesn't have this option now.  

-Morgan

RoySvarliaunet
New Contributor

And the settings here. I expext the GPSDirect Sensor to be correct, Am I right ?

0 Kudos
RoySvarliaunet
New Contributor

Hello Morgan. Im struggeling with the exact same issue, the Collector is not able to Open the external GPS. The Sensor Driver Install have several settings, and it would be very helpful to get a little info of what to select when installing. I guess the default is not good enough ?? I have tried to set the NMEA Source to the same port as I 

Tnx

Roy

PaigeLester1
New Contributor III

Can you please provide a list of other domestic location sensor driver software options similar to GPS Direct?

0 Kudos
JRAdams
New Contributor III

Anyone have an update on this? Having the same issues using a Carlson external gps unit. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos