Duplicate records captured in collector

11-26-2019 06:22 PM
EmmaRingeri
New Contributor

When working online using collector there were significant numbers of duplicated entries each night (10-15%).  Duplication's have occurred when using both normal phone signal and the boosters, and across multiple site locations across Victoria. This has only been noted when using the 'new' collector for Arcgis 19.0.2. Is anyone able to advice as to why this might be happening? Could it have something to do with connectivity drop outs if they are working in remote areas where connectivity might be intermittent.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Emma Ringeri‌,

Do the duplicate entries have the exactly the same attributes for each field? Just want to also double check that the source data is not a multi-point feature? Does editing through a web map behave normally?

Unfortunately I haven't encountered this behavior before. You may want to enable editor tracking on the feature service to confirm which user is creating duplicate records. Finally is there any pattern to the records which are duplicated (e.g. specific feature service, layer, end user)?

I hope this helps provide some suggestions.

Thanks,

Thomas.

0 Kudos
EmmaRingeri
New Contributor

Hi Thomas,

Yes, they have the same attributes and time stamp of when the data was captured so its easily identifiable that they are duplicates. Editor tracking is turned on they are all showing the same information across all features there too. We do not experience the same issue when editing data in the webmap. The are the same feature that this is occurring too - its the main feature in the collector app that they are capturing all the information on.

This has happened on multiple nights with different users - so we can't narrow it down to a single user or a single device. 

My only conclusion to the issue is that it is happening when its being used online in remote areas of Victoria. They have tried to use mobile boosters to increase  the signal and they still experienced the same issue. when i advised them to work offline the issue no longer occurred.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

Cheers,

Emma

0 Kudos
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hi Emma Ringeri‌,

Thanks for the follow up, my only thought is maybe ApplyEdits calls to the feature were somehow submitted twice for the same record. I hope the offline workflow provides a workaround for you. I will definitely keep this behavior in mind in the future. 

Thanks!

Thomas.

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

You might run into BUG-000124555: Feature collection in Collector for ArcGIS (iOS) on .. which should be addressed at iOS 19.2. Can you double check if All of your field workers are running Collector iOS 19.2? 

Note: we don't have v19.0.2

EmmaRingeri
New Contributor

We are currently working on 19.1 - i will get them to update as soon as possible.

0 Kudos