Does using the tracklog template for Collector require a hosted feature service?

06-23-2015 02:56 PM
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II

I tried just publishing a regular feature service but it's not being recognized as a tracking service in the map. If it must be a hosted feature service rather than just a feature service published directly to ArcGIS Server (it's not clear in the documentation) then it would be nice to know.

I'm using this reference which is the latest I can find.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=051146f34aec4ef8ac228b5e6b2b8eac

0 Kudos
13 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I have added feedback to the Help page of Desktop 10.3:

In the section "Publish the tracking layer using Portal for ArcGIS": Track where collectors went—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

... there is a link: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=051146f34aec4ef8ac228b5e6b2b8eac

... that directs to the Location Tracking Template (created for 10.1, Last Modified: May 2, 2013)

Several users (see comments on that item page) and here (Does using the tracklog template for Collector require a hosted feature service? ) have reported problems activating tracking using Portal.

Are you sure that that link and the instructions are up-to-date for 10.3.x?

In the past I have received very fast responses from the help team. If they get back to me I let you know.

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

thanks for posting this.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

To bad, thanks for trying and for posting back.

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

I also just tried publishing a hosted feature service directly from the template without renaming anything and still no configuration options for Track Location on the map. I tried to use all the specific tags mentioned in the Location Tracking template document. This document is worded a bit oddly in that the steps aren't exactly what you need to do. It should probably specify - "login to Portal to publish your hosted feature service" before step 4 if that's what's needed. It mentions connecting to your portal after that.

0 Kudos