Copying existing asset or observation not working.

01-02-2019 11:33 AM
AnooshehTarassoly
New Contributor III

Hello:

As far as I can tell, copying an existing observation (including the location and attributes) is not working as stated in the documentation. When I attempt to copy a feature, Collector captures the observation at my current location rather than the location of the copied feature. 

The documentation suggest that this can be addressed by configuring (assuming this is the feature layer config) the observation as a read-only or "only allow attribute updates" to rectify this issue. However, when I configure the feature layer as instructed, there is no option to collect or copy a new feature. Am I missing something? Looking forward to your response.

Thank you!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
ShawnCapararo
New Contributor II

Hi Kylie - thanks for the reply. Yes I am working with polygons. 

ESRI Technical Support staff have acknowledged the reported behaviour and logged it as 'BUG-000119776 : Collector and Collector Classic Do Not Have The Same Functionality When Copying a Feature'.

I have been advised that the current status of the bug is 'under review'.

Regards

Shawn

UhullGoGoGoGo
New Contributor III

Hi, we're also missing this functionality for lines.

We build roads. In Collector there's a layer for the road
itself and another for the sidewalk.

Not all roads have a sidewalk.

When there is one, we were used to just drive the road
and then copy the measured line into another layer.

With the new Collector, now our field workers make the same measurement twice.

Of course, we could sort this out in the office by copying the shape...
but we really want the functionality to be manteined into new App. 

CoryBolen1
New Contributor III

Hi @Kylie Donia and others, just checking in on the status of this and to see if I am understanding correctly.  In Collector Classic, the user would be a able to copy a specific feature that is editable and paste it to a different editable feature that shares the same geometry type ('Different feature, same shape').  Now in the 'New' Collector seems like you can only copy an editable feature into the same existing editable feature in which you are copying from and not not a different feature.  Is this correct?  Basically, in Collector Classic there were more option when copying then in the 'New' Collector.  Am I missing something?

AmitGupta2
New Contributor

Hi Kylie,

I appreciate if you give feedback on my below queries...

I'm designing and planning to use Collector for ArcGIS to collect defects/faults. 

I created a point feature service and consumed in collector..

Issue:

- I'm unable to fetch/copy attribute information from polygon feature. I need to copy only few attribute information, and those information will be use as a reference ID for the defect in the point feature.

- I have list of multiple faults category and subtypes, eg: Fault-> subtype1-> subtype2-> subtype3. my requirement is if I select major fault category, then associated subtype1 should be listed in the next field and if I select subtype1 then subtype2 should be shorted accordingly and same with selection of subtype2.

- How to control basemap in collector for ArcGIS?, I need to turn off all default basemap except shared organization basemap.

- we have requirement to control attachments, not more than 4. means user cannot attached more than 4 pictures of defect. is there any way to control attachments in collector or from feature service?

Thanks,

Amit 

0 Kudos
mthompson
New Contributor III

This feature is definitely needed. As shown in Cory's image above, in the old Collector App there were basically 3 options for copying features:

• Copy Location (let you copy the selected feature's location but pick any editable feature to create there)
  • Copy Attributes (create a new feature with the same attributes at your current location)
  • Copy Location and Attributes (create a new feature of the same type at the same location as the selected feature)

That third option is the one missing in the new Collector App. It let you quickly add multiple features on top of one another if you only needed to change one or two attributes, instead of copying just the location and needing to redo every attribute, which could be dozens.

If snapping was possible in the App it wouldn't be as much of an issue because you could copy the attributes and then just snap to the feature, but I realize that is probably more difficult for a touchscreen app.

CarlaWeinkauf
New Contributor

I would like to add my comment that we definitely need this option in the new collector. The ability to copy a polygon shape as well as attributes is a much used feature, or at least it was in the old version. I'm thinking about going back to the old version just for the amount of time that is saved. Why would you remove such a good feature?

SharolynAnderson1
New Contributor II

I too need the copy options of Classic to be included in the newer version.  Adding another users support for this option.