Collector not syncing 100%

07-18-2014 05:28 AM
ANRGIS
by
Occasional Contributor

We have a fairly basic collector application for inventorying trees.

It contains a feature service with mobile access and sync capabilities for offline/disconnected use.

We are using the latest Collector App for iOS.

The issue is that when the user downloads a map to the device, collects information, then comes back to WIFI to sync, the sync process never reaches 100%. The status bar seems to advance to about 40% then doesn't finish completely. It seems to send data to the server (but not always), but it always shows that there are features that still needed to be synced. This means that the map needs to be removed from the device, then re-downloaded to remove the indicator that there are still features to sync.

Is anybody else having this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks!

17 Replies
JoshVan_Vlack
New Contributor II

Not to hijack the thread, but is the distributed geodatabase workaround reliable for retrieving "hung-up" syncs?

We are running Collector on several Garmin Monterra units, and have had several occasions where the syncs fail with an error message along the lines of  "Unable to Sync with Server".  Like Peter, the risk of loosing an entire days data is very concerning.

I tried deleting the GEODATABASE folders, but still was unable to sync.

0 Kudos
GaryMorris1
Occasional Contributor

I don't see how deleting the geodatabase files or folders is going to help the sync work.  If you delete the wrong file you can lose all your local geodatabase data too.

0 Kudos
RobertRayner1
New Contributor III

I'm not sure why it worked either, but I'm 99% sure that was the deciding factor which allowed me to sync changes which continuously hung up and failed.  Definitely back up the data as I described above as well though.

0 Kudos
EdwardGlover
New Contributor III

I am also experiencing syncing errors.  Robert I am interested in your solution.  Did you delete all folders on your device within the offline user folder that does not contain a .geodatabase file?

I have tried to the retrieve data with the collector script (42579 - Retrieve data collected while Collector for ArcGIS was used in disconnected editing mode).  I get the following error:

ScriptError.png

I have 2 point hosted feature services contained in a map that have been downloaded into Collector 10.2.6 on a Nexus7 tablet (wifi only).  The services were published to AGOL with the max number of records returned by the server set to 5000.  I have no attachments and editor tracking is not enabled.

The syncing problem seems to have consistently arisen when another map was downloaded with a seperate point and line hosted feature service.

I get no error messages, the progress bar just stops progressing after it jumps to either ~10% or ~90% complete.  Is there any diagnostic tools available to assist me with understanding the issue further?

0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor

Please contact Esri Support to assist you in recovering the edits performed in Collector for ArcGIS app which failed to sync to the geodatabase. Esri Support has removed KB article #42579 as it was a possible solution for
a very specific scenario involving Collector for ArcGIS app 'edits failing to sync' but was mistakenly used by users outside of the supported scenario which resulted in error messages as you have encountered.

IF you are receiving the Error 'A row with this OID already exists.' after running through the Python script provided in KB #42579, contact Esri Support and be ready to provide copy of your .geodatabase file from the device. Esri Support can run your .geodatabase file through the new 10.3 'Copy Runtime Geodatabase File to File Geodatabase' tool in Conversion Tools > To Geodatabase toolbox.

0 Kudos
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

It would be great if the KB article #42579 web page had your text in it rather than a not found error.

0 Kudos
BorjaParés
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issue. My progress bar stucks at 40% aprox.

I've noticed that if my collector web map works with an arcgis online feature, sync operation works perfect and the status bar reaches 100%

if I'm working with a feature service from Arcgis Server 10.3, it always stucks at 40%.

The data is sent to the register geodatabase in AGS but the progress bar doesn't reach 100%.

Any solutions for this issue?

Thanks in advance!

PD: i'm testing with only one point feature.

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

Are you using the latest Collector (10.3.1)? Sync is broken with Collector 10.3.1 using ArcGIS Server, the sync will never complete but you may see the changes in Server.

0 Kudos