I made a webmap with the intent that it could be downloaded to our devices and used offline. The map works on every iOS device I have tested it with, but not with Android devices. The map will download but when I try to open it I receive an error that says "Unfortunately, Collector has stopped working," and then Collector returns to the map download screen. To narrow down the problem, I systematically removed o each from the map and tried downloading it. I believe that the error is caused by my layer called ANERR_Sea_Turtle_Nesting_Survey, because the maps work on both devices unless this layer is included. If it is included the map only works on iOS.
There are only two layers (1) Mile_Markers, and (2) ANERR_Sea_Turtle_Nesting_Survey plus the ESRI basemap.
I'm not sure if it is relevant, but the problematic layer was created by Survey123 Connect. I imported it into ArcGIS Pro so I could calculate a field that was then used to update the Symbology on the webmap. Does anybody have any ideas?
I have already tried uninstalling Collector, clearing the cache, deleting all of the offline data, rebooting the Android device, re-installing Collector and then downloading the maps. I get the same error.
We are in the middle of our field season and all of our crews have Android devices so I'm hoping to resolve this as quick as I can.
Thanks for your help,
Can you head to the Item Details of the ANERR_Sea_Turtle_Nesting_Survey layer> Settings > and see if the option 'Enable Sync (disconnected editing with synchronization).' is enabled?
If it's not enabled, can you enable it, save and try the web map offline on Android again?
If this is enabled for this layer, can you check the other layers have it enabled too?
Thank you for the prompt reply.
I double checked that all layers had ‘Enable Sync’ checked.
I can open, view, edit data, and sync the map on the iOS device.
I don’t know if this is relevant, but there are also 11 related tables (created in Survey123 as repeats) in the problematic layer. My next diagnostic step is to remove them one at a time to see if any of them are causing the problem.
Oh I see, that's a pretty complex layer! Does it work offline on Survey123 okay?
Tagging Survey123 for ArcGIS for visibility too
Yes, it’s a pretty complicated layer. It works fine in Survey123 offline. I’m not sure what caused it. Anyway, I was able to circumvent the problem by removing some of the related tables. There are a few that need to be updated frequently, but some are only populated when we initially fill out the survey and are rarely edited. I removed all but the most essential tables and it works fine. On the rare occasion that I need to update some of the other tables I will just do it by opening Survey123 and using the inbox function. The other more frequently edited tables still work on the Android OS.
So, I wouldn’t call the problem solved, but I was able to avoid it. Thank you for your feedback.
FYI, I was having the same problem, where one particular service was visible on the iPad but not on my Android. ESRI support had me check the REST services of that service, and we saw that there were gaps in the layer sequence. This can occur when over-writing services when publishing.
Deleting the service and republishing a new service with the same name resolved the issue.
Thanks for the tip. That makes sense.