Collector for Arcgis: The Server you are trying to connect cannot be verified

10-21-2017 09:39 AM
Electricity_Company_of_Ghana_L
New Contributor

I have setup an on-premise Arcgis server 10.4.1  which has been used for field data collection. Surprisingly over the last week, I did a minimum update on the server and I persistently get a dialog stating "The Server you are trying to connect to cannot be verified". The service has been restarted multiple times but get same error. Features cannot be accessed on the collector application anymore. An urgent help is really needed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
JasonCiak
New Contributor III

I'm experiencing the same issue and it is becoming a bigger and bigger issue and appears to be having something to do with some type of caching.  Some devices can open the map correctly and some cannot, and making updates to maps seems to cause problems with the new layers.

Using SSL but it is properly configured.  This seemed to happen starting mid day on October 20th.

0 Kudos
JasonCiak
New Contributor III

The same maps also load properly in Explorer for ArcGIS - it is just collector that is erroring.

0 Kudos
PeteCrosier
Occasional Contributor III

Are the (Android?) devices having problems the ones that have updated to Collector 17.0.3 which was released on October 18th? This seems to be the case here. I think all our field users are on an older version (10.4?) of Collector to mitigate other changes which have happened in the past and changed things that aren't compatible with how they work so this hasn't affected them yet.

0 Kudos
JasonCiak
New Contributor III

They are Android GPS units(4.2.2), and also my Galaxy Note 8(7.1.1).  I also tried downgrading them to 17.0.2 and I could have swore that the first time I opened the map up on the one GPS unit it loaded properly and then I went to refresh it and it's doing the same thing - except this time since it's 17.0.2 it allows me to click the "Yes" I'm sure even though you cannot verify my certificate.

I called ESRI and they suggested installing the certificate on my devices as well - tried that to no avail.

I'm adding my services directly to a map with ArcGIS Online and using the :6443 in the URL of the REST endpoint - this is correct, yes?  It's worked all along.  When I view the REST endpoints URL in Firefox the Green lock icon appears in the address bar so I believe the SSL is configured properly, but maybe Collector doesn't like the :6443 port reference?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Michael,

You will want to check your rest service URLs on the browsers on the smartphones themselves to confirm the certificate is trusted. Safari for iOS and Chrome for Android. Preventing access for sites that are not trusted were avoidable pre 17.0.3. Now this is a feature that is set and the only way to go around this is to trust the certificate by putting it on your device or using a ca certificate.

JasonCiak
New Contributor III

Hey Dan,

I've confirmed that the URL's are secure in my browsers.  This is isolated to Android tablets and smartphones, it appears.  My windows and iOS Collector app are loading in fine and prompting me to enter in my ArcServer username and password.  Only problem is I have a few clients who are using Android ZenoCollectors for high precision GNSS.

ESRI suggested I try to load my SSL cert directly onto my Android devices but that hasn't seemed to work.  Same thing.  Ugh.  Any suggestions from anyone?  Downgrading to 17.0.2 also did not work.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You may want to open a case with technical support. We will be able to look into this further. It doesn't seem to be a certificate issue at this time if you can access the portal over Chrome and Safari on the devices themselves. 

Tech support also has access to the leica zenocollector

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same problem. Was this ever resolved?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Joshua,

The latest versions of Collector are more secure and require trusted certificates to access Portal or ArcGIS Server services in ArcGIS Online. 

Problem: Unable to log into ArcGIS Enterprise portal with Collector for ArcGIS when using a self-sig... 

0 Kudos