Collector for ArcGIS on Android v10 - location instability

04-12-2020 07:10 PM
SteveTaylor6
Occasional Contributor

I am testing the new version of Collector - Collector for ArcGIS on a Samsung S20+, running side by side with Collector Classic.  There appears to be a problem with the way Collector for ArcGIS interacts with the location services -  both in the on-line (GPS and mobile data) and off-line modes (GPS only).

Running the two apps side by side leads to very different location stability.  Collector Classic gets a stable accurate fix quickly - allowing for trouble free streaming of polygons.  Whereas Collector for ArcGIS has such an unstable location fix that streaming a polygon can be problematic at times.  

It seems that Collector for ArcGIS does not ignore suspicious location fixes, whereas Collector Classic ignores such suspicious fixes.  Or is it something more fundamental in the way Collector for ArcGIS interacts with location services.  Either way it is a problem that needs testing and investigating.

Out of interest the other mapping app we use a lot in ACT Parks and Conservation Service, is the Avenza app. It has an option of ignoring suspicious location fixes. Maybe this is what the new Collector for ArcGIS needs to fix the issue.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Steve,

Are you seeing this problem on any other devices (if available)? Maybe you could detail your work area a bit for me (ie where are you working, is it near buildings with wifi coverage, etc)?

I would be curious is others are experiencing this as well. I tested with an S9 (seems to share the same GPS specs as the S20) and didnt get the same results as you; sometimes jumping from 4m to 10m when going in and out of wifi range. The way Collector interacts with Location Services is different from Classic so one might expect different behavior, but it shouldnt necessarily be worse.

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos
SteveTaylor6
Occasional Contributor

Hello Colin, try testing it in airplane mode - so it is forced to use the GPS only.  Then run both versions side by side and you will see the difference in location stability.  This is important because if you are streaming a polygon having the location move around from 4m to 20m interrupts the streaming and/or creates unreliable polygons.  Collector Classic only varies between 4 and 6m while creating reliable polygons (4m in grassland areas and 6m in forest). As explained above Collector for ArcGIS seems to include suspicious fixes making streaming unreliable.  The same issue happens on the S9 and S10 phones as well as the S20. Hence why our staff and contractors with Android phones are sticking with Collector Classic for now.  Out of interest this problem does not occur on the Apple version of Collector for ArcGIS - maybe that is a clue to what is going on. Also as I mentioned the problem does not occur on the Avenza app because it ignores suspicious GPS fixes, giving a stable location range allowing tracking (streaming) to occur without errors or interruptions.

0 Kudos
SteveTaylor6
Occasional Contributor

Hi Colin - this has been identified as a bug. See below:

"Esri Case #02539413 - Collector Beta (Android): location instability

Hello Steve,

Esri has let me know that the issue has been identified as BUG-000130104:
The GPS accuracy for the newest Collector for ArcGIS on an Android device is not as accurate as Collector Classic on the same device."

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your help in identifying the problem. We are targeting a fix for this in the coming weeks with the 20.2 release for Android. The problem was determined to be specific to Android 10 devices and the method we were using to listen to NMEA.

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
SteveTaylor6
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Colin - any idea when the fixes will occur.  As it leaves Android version 10 users stuck at the moment not being able to stream polygons.

0 Kudos
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

We are very close to wrapping up 20.2, so we are hoping it will be available early May. I cant give an exact date at this point unfortunately. 

Regards,

Colin

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos