Collector crash - offline, copy feature

Jump to solution
01-21-2015 08:14 AM
J_B__K_
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am struggling with this issue - when editing offline and trying to copy feature, app crashes. It crashes when clicking on the "Copy"; the copy dialogue does not even show up. I did not find any situation bringing the problem, it seems to crashes randomly. It does not appear every time, most of the time it is possible to copy feature at the beginning. But when the problem occurs, it is not possible to copy any feature (when starting app again).

Thanks for your help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

It looks like we are having an issue with one of the ET field on the layer when it is getting copied. Our 10.3 update which should be coming out very soon will have this fixed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you seeing this on iOS or Android? What device and OS version are you using? and if possible can you share your map and service to a group and invite Collector4ArcGIS into that group and I can look into the issue further.

Thanks

Russ

0 Kudos
J_B__K_
New Contributor III

Hi Russ,

1. Android 4.4.2, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (SM-P605)

2. Group has been created, map has been shared, you have been invited... Let me know whether everything is set correctly.

After some further "research" I have found a way how to bring up the problem - it appears after turning the internet access off and restarting the device (or clearing the RAM). When I just disconnect the device and start using Collector offline (without restarting the device or clearing the RAM), it works. So it seems to me that the problem is related to RAM. (?)

You may be wondering why I want to restart the device. I don´t mean a "real-time" restart, but turning the device off and turning it on later (next day, etc.)... Lets say that users will use the device/app once a week. So the required "workflow" is: day 1: in the office - get connected, download area, disconnect, turn the device off; day 2: in the field - turn the device on, collect data offline. Is this explanation sufficient?

BTW - Thank you, I really appreciate your attitude to solving problems this way on the forum. This is much more effective than "standard" way!

EDIT:

I am observing a very strange behaviour - having the problem described earlier, when I turn on the internet connection, the problem disappear and Collector is working properly (both on-line and off-line)! To obtain the problem again, it is necessary to clear RAM/restart device... BUT - this is not a solution! There will be situations when it will not be possible to get connection.

I have sent a few standard "crash reports" with system info, I hope it will help. Does it even go to ESRI (as I hope), or is it just some Google stuff?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

-Trying to repro your issue now. If I understand it correctly these are the repro steps

1. Download map
  2. Turn off Wifi or Enable Airplane mode
  3. Open Map
  4. Identify feature
  5. Through the result or the popup tap on the overflow option
  6. Tap on Copy
  7. App should crash at this point

-We get the crash reports through Google play.

Cheers

Russ

0 Kudos
J_B__K_
New Contributor III

As I was trying to explain - there are some more important steps to repro the issue are:

1. download map

2. turn off wifi

3. turn the device off

4. turn the device on, do not turn on wifi

5. being offline, open map

6. identify feature

7. through the result or the popup tap on the overflow option

8. tap on "Copy"

9. app should crash at this point

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Perfect, I can repro it now.

Russ

0 Kudos
J_B__K_
New Contributor III

Great!

So, what do you think? Something wrong in data, or with map service, or web map, or is it collector´s bug?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

It looks like we are having an issue with one of the ET field on the layer when it is getting copied. Our 10.3 update which should be coming out very soon will have this fixed.

0 Kudos
J_B__K_
New Contributor III

OK, thanks!

But - can you be more specific?

1. What do you mean when you are saying "very soon"? Do you know exact date? Days, weeks (months)?

2. Is it even possible to say more than "issue with one of the ET field"? Which field, how to avoid it?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

1. Hopefully this week. We are just wrapping up certification and app store approval.

2. Its an issue in the app with the creator field and it is trying to copy over the creator field value into the new feature which is incorrect. So to avoid it you would have to remove the Editor tracking fields.

0 Kudos