We have a number of Android Devices recently upgraded to Collector for ArcGIS 10.2.5, which now are unresponsive when working with maps downloaded for offline use. The devices include Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.2 2014 Edition, Nexus 7, Motorola Droid, etc. They all were working fine with the maps before the upgrade; some where at 10.2.4, others were at 10.2.3. They all work fine with the maps in online mode.
The problem arises only when we download the maps to the device, and the maps become unresponsive, or at least very slow to respond. (If you wait long enough you do seem to get a response out of the app in most cases after more than a minute or so; however, on most of these devices the app unresponsive warning window pops-up first.) When you open the downloaded map on the device, the screen remains black for a very long time, and then finally loads. Each subsequent action -- panning or zooming, clicking to add a new feature, etc. -- also takes a very long time to complete. Deleting the maps from the app and re-downloading them has not helped, nor has deleting the app and reinstalling it.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
Solved! Go to Solution.
I created a duplicate version of your map in the group and I changed the symbols for the layers at the web map layer. I noticed an improvement on the time it take for the pick list to collect a new feature to popup and the scrolling on that list improved with the quick changes to renderers I made at the map level. You can check it out on your devices the map is called RendererChange. Let me know if it works for you and I can help walk you through the changes I made at the web map.
If you are talking about the .tpk files, they are usually quite large, and have to be used from the device memory instead of the external SD card. So are they eating up memory to the extent that you are running out of program memory and now there is a lot of data shuttling since it can't hold it all in program memory?
Thanks, Patrick, however, there are no .tpk files involved here. These are all very simple web maps with imagery and labels as the basemap, and just a single feature layers and covering small areas. The map downloads in Collector are all <5MB.
I probably should've mentioned originally too that the maps all work just fine on Collector for iOS.
Hi Russ, the maps and features are on our organizational instance of AGOL. Is there any easy way to share them from there with you, or a way you can recommend to easily move a copy of it all from there to the public AGOL instance?
Best way to do this is to create a group, invite Collector4ArcGIS into that group, share the maps and services into that group and just post the name of the group and the map into this thread and I can take a look at it.
I've added your account to an "Android Collector Issue" group, and shared two maps with it that exhibit the problematic behaviour: "Camp Michigania Tree Inventory" and "Mobile GIS Collector Demo". Thanks for taking a look!
I can see the lag when trying to collect a feature. We have an issue logged for this bug we are seeing with the slow response and the lag when you scroll the template picker. I do not have an exact update date for you but I can update this thread when I know the date of the next update when we have this fixed.