Collector 10.2.5 Unresponsive with Downloaded Maps for Offline Use

Jump to solution
08-01-2014 06:25 AM
peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

We have a number of Android Devices recently upgraded to Collector for ArcGIS 10.2.5, which now are unresponsive when working with maps downloaded for offline use.  The devices include Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.2 2014 Edition, Nexus 7, Motorola Droid, etc.  They all were working fine with the maps before the upgrade; some where at 10.2.4, others were at 10.2.3.  They all work fine with the maps in online mode.

The problem arises only when we download the maps to the device, and the maps become unresponsive, or at least very slow to respond.  (If you wait long enough you do seem to get a response out of the app in most cases after more than a minute or so; however, on most of these devices the app unresponsive warning window pops-up first.)  When you open the downloaded map on the device, the screen remains black for a very long time, and then finally loads.  Each subsequent action -- panning or zooming, clicking to add a new feature, etc. -- also takes a very long time to complete.  Deleting the maps from the app and re-downloading them has not helped, nor has deleting the app and reinstalling it. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

16 Replies
peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

We see the lag when trying to collect or edit a feature on all of our Android devices.  Most of those devices also show the same lag when trying to do any operation in Collector, such as opening the offline map or trying to pan/zoom around the map.

Glad to hear there is a fix making its way into a future release.  Please do update the thread when you have an idea of when it will be available.

Meanwhile, is there anything we might do differently to avoid triggering this bug?  Something to do or avoid doing when creating maps and features we want to make use of off-line on Android devices?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I created a duplicate version of your map in the group and I changed the symbols for the layers at the web map layer. I noticed an improvement on the time it take for the pick list to collect a new feature to popup and the scrolling on that list improved with the quick changes to renderers I made at the map level. You can check it out on your devices the map is called RendererChange. Let me know if it works for you and I can help walk you through the changes I made at the web map.

Russ

0 Kudos
peterNOTMEknoop
Occasional Contributor

I borrowed the symbology approach your illustrated to update a few of our problematic maps, and I can confirm that it removed the lag on a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition running Android 4.4.2.  Thanks Russell Roberts!

Any pointers from this on what to avoid, until the bug is fixed?  Is the issue arising because the symbology of these maps was defined in ArcMap and then published to AGOL?  And/or because some of the symbols used do not match those available in AGOL's symbol sets?  For the time being, is it a best practice to define the symbology in AGOL for maps you want to use off-line in Collector on Android?  Maybe just avoid custom or "Add an Image" symbols in general for now?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I am still looking into the what is causing the exact issue with the lag but it does appear that certain images are causing the lag when the app is generating that picker list of features you can collect. I can update this thread when I see a more defined work around then the one I gave above.

Cheers

Russ

0 Kudos
RobertKirkwood
Occasional Contributor III

Russ,

I have added you to a group i have created. I cannot get the map to download for offline using the App on my iPhone 5. Would you be able to take a look at it?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I noticed you are using a 10.2.1 server. Right now the Collector supports creating offline data from 10.2.2 servers and up. I also tried to generate a replica from the REST endpoint of the service and noticed it was throwing an error when trying to create a replica from the service. I would recommend you  enable the debug logs on your server to be able to see what the error is on the service and upgrade to 10.2.2.

Russ

RobertKirkwood
Occasional Contributor III

Russell,

Thanks again for your help. I forwarded your answer to my team leader. We will try the upgrade and debug errors. Much appreciated!

0 Kudos