Cannot Edit Maps on iOS Mobile App

05-16-2014 11:40 AM
DevinDePonte
New Contributor II
Hello everyone!

I am being introduced to ArcGIS Online at my new internship and will be required to use the Collector App in order to map out amenities on our local Greenway.  I have everything setup fine, all my layers made it over from ArcMap into my Group's database which are now editable and viewable while in the Web browser.  When I open the map in the App on my iPhone, it doesn't seem to be working correctly.  The "+" sign at the top of the screen is not there, which ends up not allowing me to add any points to the map; also, the "test points" I placed on the map in the browser do not show up on my mobile device either.

I have checked around and made sure all "Editable" options are activated that would allow or disallow the editing of my map and the layers.  Does anyone know any options to fix this or what could have possibly been done wrong that would cause this problem?

Thanks!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you using hosted services or ArcGIS Server services? It sounds like the layer is failing to load when you are trying to view it in the Collector app.

Russ
0 Kudos
DevinDePonte
New Contributor II
I am working with a city for the internship, so my guess is it is hosted?  I do not know for sure if my answer is correct, is there an easy way for me to find out to inform you?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
When you look at the feature service URL if it says services.arcgis.com it is hosted. If it is a different URL it will be probably coming from a server.

Russ
0 Kudos
DevinDePonte
New Contributor II
I was informed that our Group IS hosted.  I hope this information helps.  Thank you for the help so far.

Update:: The layers were originally put into ArcGIS through publishing them out of the .mxd file and the second attempt was done by feature service from a shape file to see if this made a difference.  Still no luck unfortunately.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
If you can share the service I can take a look at the issue.

Russ
0 Kudos
DevinDePonte
New Contributor II
Hey, hope you had a good weekend and sorry for the delay!

http://blountgis.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=64b222590204463ebb328ff67a37ab5f

This is the project I am currently having issues with, you should have no problem accessing it but let me know if you do.
0 Kudos
DevinDePonte
New Contributor II
******UPDATE******

Once I chose the option to "Share with Everyone" the map became editable on my mobile device!  So that problem is now out of the way, I am curious as to how it will be possible to get maps editable in the future without having to make them accessible to the whole world; considering I might be working with data that cannot be open to the web, I might need to tackle that problem eventually.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
EvanMarshall
New Contributor III
Seeing as how this worked after you made it public, I am guessing maybe your editable service was not shared appropriately to the group you were accessing the map from, therefore was not loading as part of the webmap in collector. A map does not need to be shared with everyone to be editable--please keep that in mind when pushing out editable maps. Especially if the data is sensitive etc.
0 Kudos
cedwards8511
New Contributor III
I'm having a similar problem, but only on my iPad. 

I am able to add/edit features with an iPod, but can only add features with my iPad.

I've been fighting with this all day.   Any advice?
0 Kudos