Can you create a drop down menu in collector?

05-29-2013 11:57 AM
JerryGarcia1
Occasional Contributor II
I have a map in collector for keeping track of some infrastructure. We will have some interns this summer collecting the data with their phones. In order to keep the data clean I would like to use a drop down menu.  I am nervous that the interns may misspell or just fill out the form wrong. Is there a way to set up the collector to use a drop down menu?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
When you create the feature service use a feature class in a geodatabase and leverage subtypes & domains. This will help you create a data model that can auto-populate and have values presented to the user and not require anything to be typed into fields.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
EricDaniel
Occasional Contributor III
Russ,

Will this also work with Hosted feature maps created in ArcMap without having ArcGIS Server?
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Yup. You just need to publish the hosted service using ArcMap with a feature class in a geodatabase and you will be set.

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
Thanks for the info Russ.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
You need to be able to connect to your org within ArcMap and from there you can share a service with data coming from a file geodatabase and have it hosted up to AGO. Or you can take a service definition file and upload that to AGO to generate a service.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Publishing_a_hosted_feature_service_to_to_ArcGIS_Onl...

Cheers
Russ
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
From the screenshot, I see you're using a network path. Can you try copying the file to your local computer first? I'm not sure that's what's causing the issue, but... Also, you are browsing for the .SD file, right? This should just work. Note that the SD file must be authored specifically for publishing to "My Hosted Services" on ArcGIS Online and not for a local ArcGIS Server. While you will be able to upload the latter type, you won't be able to publish it as a hosted service.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
OK, you do need ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 or greater. You can't publish from earlier versions. MSD files are not supported for upload. In 10.1, you can publish directly, and the service definition file (.SD) is created and uploaded, and a service gets created from it.

Without 10.1, you can zip up the contents of a shapefile (all shapefile files, e.g., .shp, .prj, etc in the zip), upload that directly from ArcGIS.com and publish a service from it. Once you have a service, you can add it to a web map.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Shapefiles don't support domains. If you need domains, you need to use 10.1 to publish your data.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
I got mine to work and it's pretty slick.  The interns have been using it for about a week and it's great.  The GPS in both the android and iphones are not that accurate but if you select the point from the map it is fine.

I set the domains and subtypes up in a geodatabase and sent it to our DBA who runs our SDE (the city I work for will not give me access to the SDE).

Thanks again for the help.
0 Kudos