I created a simple collector map that works like it is supposed to on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S6). But, when I download it to my phone and use it in offline mode, the data points I collect do not persist. Right after I collect the point, add the attribute info, the point just disappears. If I 'sync' it back, nothing syncs back.
I have attachments enabled in my geodatabase so I don't know if this is an issue or not. If I collect a point with a picture as an attachment it does not work. If I collect a point without a picture as an attachment, it still does not work. My data is on my hosted feature services in my organizational AGOL account. It was published from a file geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro.
What am I doing wrong?
I saw some information posted in this thread that mentioned people were grabbing the geodatabase straight from the phone and appending it later back to their PC. This seems like an unnecessary step but, in the interim, might be what I need to do. However, when I use the Copy Runtime Geodatabase tool, I don't get any of the data that I collected offline.
Any advice is appreciated!
I spoke with an Esri person at the UC and they seemed to understand that Collector had many bugs in it. There did not appear to be much hope in fixing these bugs either. So, maybe I won't be using Collector...
I am not sure who you spoke with Adrian but Collector is perhaps our most used mobile app and we are committed to making it stable and addressing issues so this is really disappointing to hear.
Regarding your specific issue, it would be useful to receive more details and ultimately for you to contact our support team to diagnose what is happening. Are you receiving an error message of any kind?
If not, perhaps this has to do with how you authored the feature layer itself. I see this quite often where the feature layer is symbolized using a unique value renderer. The renderer is based upon a field like say "Status" and when a new feature is created there are no default values set for that field and the renderer does not include null values. So it actually creates a feature and the feature will sync but it feels like it doesn't exist in Collector or your web map because you can't see it. The easiest way to check is to open the table and see if a new row was created.
If you didn't receive an error message, give the above a try. If it still doesn't work then give our support team a call - they are the right resources to help you.
I really appreciate the reply. I did not mean to sound so down on the product. When it was working for me, it was virtually flawless and working wonderfully. I am evaluating mobile apps to use for my business and it's looking like Survey123 will be a better solution (for now). If I didn't care about mobile data usage, Collector would be the go-to app for me!
In any case, based on your questions, I likely would need to open a support ticket for this. There are no error messages and no unique symbols. I'm having issues with AppStudio right now and wish I could combine support tickets (though, I doubt that would be allowed).
Again, thanks for your reply and I apologize for being negative towards Collector. I will reply on here if I get things resolved or have more questions.