Can downloaded esri basemaps be renamed?

09-19-2014 08:31 AM
FredDiegel
New Contributor II

I am using the Collector App 10.2.4 for iOS, which has a download limitation of 100,000 Esri basemap tiles.  This has resulted in having numerous downloads of the Topographic basemap for different work areas.   Is there a way to rename the downloaded esri basemaps in Collector so they are easier to distinguish when wanting to change from one basemap to another.  Even though there are 3 different areas they all download with the name 'Topographic.'

IMG_0088.PNG

Thanks,

Fred.

4 Replies
AlicePence
Occasional Contributor II

I was able to change the basemap names by changing them in the different AGOL web maps that I use in Collector.

In AGOL click on the drop down arrow to the right of the basemap layer and choose 'Rename' and the new basemap name will appear in Collector.

Hope this helps.

FredDiegel
New Contributor II

Hi Alice,

Yes, this definitely helps.  I wish I figured that out before spending the time to download a the current basemaps.  Lets hope Esri can make it a bit easier to rename them once they are already on the device.  This would also prevent users from having to log in to AGOL each time they want to download a new basemap with a different name.

Thanks for the great advice!

Regards,

Fred.

0 Kudos
GaryMorris1
Occasional Contributor

The current version of Collector does not support renaming.  That is a feature that is planned for an upcoming release. 

There is a workaround, but it's not very convenient.  When a .tpk file is side loaded its filename is displayed in the app.  You can rename a .tpk file before you side load it to call it whatever you want.  To rename a downloaded map, you would have to pull it off using iTunes, rename it, and then side load it.

0 Kudos
FredDiegel
New Contributor II

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the info.  Both suggestions I found on here have been very useful.  I should be able to complete what I wanted to.  Great advice, thanks.

Fred.

0 Kudos