Blog discussion: Make your first Collector map

12-06-2018 03:19 PM
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

I've written a blog to take you through making your first map for Collector. You'll learn how to prepare a new layer (including setting choices for one of your form entries), put your layer into a map, and then use the map in Collector. If you read Try Collector the map you are making will be familiar: it is the map of parks that you used when trying Collector. Give it a read and try making the map, then come here to discuss it.

Esri Education Team
9 Replies
JulieMcLaughlin
New Contributor

I am trying to set up a map for use in Collector but I do not have an option under My Content to "Create and choose Feature Layer to open the Create a feature layer dialog." The only options I have are Map, Scene, or App > Using a Template/ 

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Julie McLaughlin‌ - You'll need to have the privilege to create content and publish hosted feature layers. These are included with the user types of Creator and GIS Professional by default. Are you using ArcGIS Online, or ArcGIS Enterprise, and do you know what your privileges are? If not, you'll want to work with the administrator of your organization.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JulieMcLaughlin
New Contributor

Hi Kylie, I figured it out - apparently I needed to activate a subscription. 

MorganFord1
New Contributor

Hello Kylie,

I've got a newbie question for you.   I'm just getting started with Collector and followed your tutorial for making a collector map.  How do I add a field to capture the receiver accuracy data?

The sample map for "Streetlight Inspections" is closer to what I need for my project.  

I'm using collector with an Enterprise account that won't let me post here.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Morgan! Welcome to Collector  In `Part 1: Prepare a layer`, after you click `Create` in step 3 (and in the same dialog as you rename the layer in step 4) there is a checkbox `Capture GPS receiver information` (you see that briefly at the end of the animation for step 3). If you check that box, your layer will include all the fields needed for high accuracy data collection. 

You might also find this section of the doc `Prepare your data to record GPS metadata` useful: Prepare for high-accuracy data collection—Collector for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
MorganFord1
New Contributor

Thanks!  I hadn't scrolled down far enough.

TomHarrison
New Contributor

Hi. I've followed the instructions to create a collector map.  I have found that new fields do not appear by default in the Collector app.  To make them appear I have to go into the feature layer's pop-up settings, then select "configure attributes" and then place a tick in teh "display" box for each of the new fields.  I'm sure I didn't used to have to do this, did something change in a recent update to AGOL?

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom -- When you add the layer to a map, the popup will be made based on the information (fields) in the map at the time. If you then add another field, it won't appear in the popup until you add it in for display, as you gave steps for in your post. In the blog, since you add all the fields before adding the layer to the map, you shouldn't need to go in and edit the popup. If you add the layer to the map earlier than the fields are added to the layer, then you will need to. I'm still seeing this behavior.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
jmohlman
New Contributor II

Hello, I know this is an old blog post but I cannot seem to find an answer online. I was trying to follow this blog post to create a map to use in ArcCollector, however, my content page does not look like the one above and I cannot find any access to templates. Instead of "Add Item" or "Create", I have "New Item" or "Create App" - neither of these allows me to create a feature layer and only allow me to upload items. I have an ArcGIS Professional Advanced account and am listed as a User at this time. Any insight is greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos