Best Tablet for App

12-10-2013 06:22 AM
CA_-_ReneGonzalez__GISS_
New Contributor III
Hi guys,

We are getting ready to purchase tablets for our planners to use on the field. I have been using my Samsung galaxy out there and has been working great.

Are there any certain devices that works better than the other? (Android and Apple)

What's all your experiences like using your current device?

We just want to get the best device for the job right the first time, and not waste money a second time around.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
Russ is out looking for a decent fish n chip place.  😉
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
iPads work good for us.  We enclosed them in some pretty good cases.

How did you overcome the sunlight issue? We have a hard time seeing anything on the screen, even with the brightness on 10 (it won't go to 11, trust me).
0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
Thank you for the reply Paul. Price is no issue, and since it will be used by the city planners, the otterbox case will suffice for rugged protection. I agree with you about the 7-9 " tablets but the planners like the big screen. I have done test with Galaxy tab and words great, but had issues with the scrolling on the Ipad. Management wants the latest devices and want one of each. Have you experienced any issues or reported bugs using the Note Tab?

I should add that they will be using collector

The Note tab is a pretty recent addition to the testing team, its a bit smaller than your average 10" tablet (less bezel on the sides), and performs well in our testing.  We haven't had a really sunny day yet to go outside and test it yet.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Our field crews haven't complained about it.  We have mounts in the trucks and they are mounted to them. 

Normal lcd screens are all going to be difficult to see in direct sunlight.

You need a device that is made to work anywhere such as a SOL 10" Windows Tablet

How did you overcome the sunlight issue? We have a hard time seeing anything on the screen, even with the brightness on 10 (it won't go to 11, trust me).
0 Kudos
CA_-_ReneGonzalez__GISS_
New Contributor III
Thanks for everyone's input; I went ahead and put in a request for Galaxy Note Tab 10.1 and the Ipad Air

Will update this thread if find any issues with these devices
0 Kudos
DanZylstra
New Contributor
I have a Samsung Galaxy tab and an iPad and I like them both...for personal use that is. I find outdoors, the screens are difficult to see, defeating the purpose of having nicely prepared maps. Also, I'm hesitant to use them in poor weather; battery life is terrible when using wwan and gps in colder temps. 2nd'ly, they are not protected against humidity or rain/snow. You can get otterboxes and protective cases but these are not perfect and do nothing in cold temps. I found what I believe to be a great product, the Xplore RangerX. It's a highly ruggedized Android 4 tab and unlike many rugged tabs, is inexpensive. The screen is fantastic outdoors and battery life and does well in wet/colder environments.
0 Kudos
JohnZachariassen
New Contributor II
Hi.

We noticed a bug with the app for iOS.
While collecting points, we were not allowed to move a point by tapping the map. The position was locked to the GPS-position. The reason was apparently, that the according service had the 'Allow geometry updates' under Feature access disabled.
On the Samsung tablet the point was not locked to the gps-position.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
If you still looking take a look at the MSI tablet.  WindPad 110W-224US   $449

AMD Z-Series APU Processors
�?�  Windows 7 Home Premium
�?�  10" 1280x800 wide-view, multi-point touch screen with IPS
�?�  AMD Radeon�?� HD 6250 Discrete-Class Graphics
�?�  4GB DDR3 memory with 64GB mSATA SSD storage capacity

I have an MSI Laptop for my personal computer at home and it is a very well built machine.

Windows 7

You don't have to mess around with emulators. you can stick directly with your ESRI Software and tools.
0 Kudos
MelissaMorris
New Contributor
I have a new Galaxy Note 10 2014 edition that is not drawing my map layers. The layers appear in the contents tab and when I tap the screen I get the information pop-up, just no features drawn. The layers draw correctly on my Galazy Note II phone, Galaxy Tab 3 7in, older iPad and older yet Motorola Xoom. It doesn't matter if I access them thru applications on my server or thru ArcGIS.com. They just don't draw. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the ESRI app multiple times including rolling back to factory settings. Did I need to enable something when I published my map services that this tablet needs (and the others didn't) ??
Help!
0 Kudos