Auto-Populate Date/Time Field on Collection?

Jump to solution
08-18-2014 08:20 AM
FrancisSenyah
Occasional Contributor

I understand it is possible to capture the current date and time via the App and this works fine for me, however I would like this information to be captured automatically with every feature collected rather than our collectors needing to press a button to set this.  The question was asked in a previous post but it didn't seem to receive a definitive answer? Using DateTime fields with time included

Thanks, Francis.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If you are using editor tracking this will tag the features with the timestamp when the feature is submitted or modified to the server and gets logged automatically.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If you are using editor tracking this will tag the features with the timestamp when the feature is submitted or modified to the server and gets logged automatically.

NoahWasserman
New Contributor III

This solution doesn't seem to work when a feature service is published through ArcGIS.com and used in Collector.  I need to auto-populate a time stamp for each new collected point and then use that time/date to sort and in pop ups.  Is there an option to include a date/time stamp when using Collector with ArcGIS.com?

0 Kudos
TylerBlack
New Contributor II

When you turn editor tracking on in a ArcGIS Online feature service, your features will get four new hidden fields in the background which holds the information.  They track the creator name, creation date, editor name, and edit date.  You will be able to see these fields in the table for your features within a web map. If you want editor tracking from ArcGIS for Desktop I believe you have to publish the feature service with editor tracking through a server, not on ArcGIS Online.

This is something I am currently experimenting with myself as I don't want the four automatically created tracking fields.  I need a way to utilize exiting fields within my features to track usernames and dates and all my research points to needing to publish the feature service via a server.

0 Kudos
JoshuaTanner2
New Contributor III

I know this is an old post, but have you found a solution for this?  I imported a dataset that already had these fields setup, which are not auto-populating.