Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Failed To Download

02-03-2015 01:06 PM

Map Failed To Download

I've been trying to test the offline editing capabilities of collector but I can't get the map to download to my devices. I've created a very simple map on ArcGIS Online with one point shapefile which I've uploaded and created a feature service of. Both the feature service and map are enabled for offiline editing and I get the download icon for the map to appear when I open up Collector. I can go through the process of selecting the area I'm intersted in and setting the map scale. Once I hit download it processes anywhere from 20%-50% and then I get this error "The map failed to download The map 'xxxxx' failed to download with the message:" (there is no message).

I've tried downloading from two different wifi connections as well as from my wireless network.

Devices: Samsung Galaxy S3 and Samsung Note 10.1

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
Hi Nicholas,

Did you try it again today? I've been experiencing some similar issues. For instance, yesterday when I tried to download on both an android and ios device, i would get errors during download. I tried this morning, and it worked. Not sure what the reason being is. Make sure your feature layer has editing set to Add, update, and delete features, and enable sync.

Good luck,
Brad
Hi Brad,

Thanks for the response.

Yes I tried yesterday....and today...no luck. I'm going to try a complete uninstall / reinstall of Collector on my device to see if that solves the problem.

Fingers crossed!

Ryan
While I don't have an answer to the OP's issue, I will chime in and say we've noticed the same thing in the Atlanta area running over AT&T's LTE network over the past 3 days.  It is hard to diagnose because we can run the same map in the connected mode and it works just fine, but if we switch to off-line editing and try to download we'll occasionally get the 'map failed to download' error.  Not every time, but enough to make us question the reliability of the process.

At first I thought the issue might be related to the size of the geodatabase we are bringing down to the devices, but since the OP notes that his dataset is actually quite small I don't think that's the issue.

We have NOT tested this on the Verizon LTE network so I don't know if it's a carrier specific issue.  We just run on the AT&T network.

Brian
Just wanted to add to this and say we are having problems too. I've tried on Sony Experia Z Ultra, a HTC One and an Ipad 2 and all seem to have issues with downloading maps. I think there is something regarding scale and size of map as I have had some luck with downloading small arear containing less details but I can't find enough of a consistent pattern to say what the issue is. If anyone has any luck let me know.

Thanks
Andy
Are you seeing the failures just over cellular and what are the sizes of the basemap data are you trying to take offline?

Thanks
Russ
I am experiencing this as well. Cellular and wireless networks both fail. iPad and Android devices both fail.
Where are you seeing the download fail? Is your map 100% compliant with being downloadable i.e has only 10.2.2 ArcGIS Server services with sync or export tiles enabled or you have hosted feature services with sync enabled?

Russ
The fail is on the initial download. From the AGS 10.2.2 we followed it so should be 100%. I am using SDE 10.2, AGS 10.2.2, WebAdapter 10.2.
Are you using your own basemap or the AGOL default basemaps? Can you also try to create a replica from the REST endpoint of the service to see that it generates one correctly.

Thanks
Russ

Where are you seeing the download fail? Is your map 100% compliant with being downloadable i.e has only 10.2.2 ArcGIS Server services with sync or export tiles enabled or you have hosted feature services with sync enabled?

Russ

Please add a "me too"

Just upgraded to 10.2.2 to enable offline collection.

New un-versioned layer, with archiving enabled, Global ID activated (as per instructions).  Published as feature service with sync ticked.

Published using ArcGIS desktop 10.2.2

Edits work fine when connected.

Cannot download - as OP "error message:" there is no message.

Also, and may be related, I can't load any attachments when online.  Fails twice with error message, then crashes app.

Using Android app.

Crash logs sent.

ACM
OK - I have got it working.  How?  Well I created a new layer in Webmercator, as opposed to our local projection of BNG/27700

All works fine (other bugs, glitches and annoyances excepted)

It even allowed me to upload a photo.

SO, another instance of Esri not writing software for a world market?  Or just an oversight?

ACM

Edit - more info.  It may be down to the Client that creates the layer.  My first layer was created in 10.1 - I then used 10.2.2 to enable archiving as it appears that you cannot have archiving on unversioned data in 10.1

This failed.

My next test layer was created in 10.2.2 and worked.

I've not the time at the moment to test this theory.  One observation that IS very important is that once you have a layer that is unversioned AND archiving switched on, you cannot open it in 10.1 clients.  This is a major hold up for us, as we are stuck on 10.1 due to  a third party AcEngine application that is in 10.1
OK - I had time to test it and it is as I guessed.

The failed layer was created in the 10.1 Enterprise database using a 10.1 client, but then had the relevant tweaks needed for offline editing made in a 10.2.2 client

The successful layer was created in the same 10.1 Enterprise database but from a 10.2.2 client.

Using this approach I have a layer that I can edit and sync from Collector, but is totally useless as my 10.1 clients cannot view it!

Doh! <face palm>

ACM
amardsen
I did the same changes and was successful. Unfortunately, 10.1 clients can't view, so looks like this works, just can't be used until we get the rest of the organization up to at least 10.2.x.

I don't like that this capability can't use versioned data, I feel that it will compromise the data quality when the feature class needs to be used in the office as well as in the field by multiple editors.
It did surprise me when I saw it needed unversioned data - I was on "auto-pilot" setting the layer up and set it to be versioned at first, it was only reading the notes that I saw it needed unversioned.

Luckily the datasets I'm looking at are single user ones (for editing) so hopefully that'll work.  It'll be interesting to test to see how it handles two edits from differnt handhelds.

Also fails - a shapefile imported into 10.1 Enterprise database in a 10.2.2 client.  Creating the layer directly seems to only way
I also am having many issues with maps failing to download.  I am using server 10.2.2, and even creating a feature class and copying/pasting data in, enabling archiving, adding globalIDs, and sharing it properly, it will fail.
The map on AGOL say's it's available for offline use, I can click start to download it on the Android 10.2.3 collector app, but it always comes up with the "failed to download, error message: no error message." When I remove that layer, I can download and sync with
other layers.
Make sure your data model is not using and SQL reserved words or Geodatabase reserved words. This can cause a download failure. If possible try creating a replica from the feature service as well to see if that works.

Thanks
Russ
Just as a follow up to my original post. We were finally able to get the downloads to work. I had to completely un-install and re-install Collector on both devices. Since then things are working well. Seems like others are having similar issues, not sure if you've tried the the un-install option? Can't say it will work for everyone, but it's solved our issues.....for now.

Ryan
New problem today....users can't edit when in a connected mode, yet are still able to edit when disconnected. This worked yesterday! Tried uninstalling the collector app, didn't work. So went back, created a brand new dataset and feature class, published, added to AGOL, now it works connected --- but won't download so can't use disconnected!!!

Nothing changed on our servers overnight, no updates to any of the services, c'mon ESRI!
If you still have the map and service causing issues with the editing can you share them to a group and invite Collector4ArcGIS into that group? Make sure you are not using Editor Tracking and Ownership controls on a hosted service. This is not supported in the apps and could cause some issues. How is it not downloading? Are you not seeing the download button or are you getting an error message back when a download fails? If you are getting an error message back what is it.

Thanks!
Russ
Here is the url: http://bit.ly/1nlkVuN
This is not an AGOL hosted service, and not editor controls are enabled.
Error message is:

Map Download Failed
Unable to download the map.
The operation couldn't be completed. Failed to create replica.
Failed to create replica.
We are also unable to download to our iPAD. A replica can be built with the REST endpoint manually but fails on the iPAD.
I tried the uninstall and reinstall of Collector with no impact...
The error message you are seeing is coming from the service when we are trying to generate the replica. Installing the app won't solve this issue. Are you using any layers that have been copied in the web map? I cannot access that link because it is inside your org and your org does not allow anonymous access.

Russ
I removed the layer and re-added it in and it still has that error.
Russ - Thank you for your reply.
Sorry but I can't expose the data externally.
For simplicity there is only one business layer added for this try.
We enabled the sync and archive. The projection is 26915 not Webmercator as some other comments
suggested, is there a sensitivity to projections? We try basically the same with the end point
and it creates a replica just fine. Do you believe there is a log or some time-out issue happening.
As far as differences between WiFi and Cell, I tried both independently with same result.
Additional info from server manager log.
Can any of these errors explain the download replica issue even if manually it creates OK?

System/SyncTools.GPServer

Error executing tool.: ErrorMsg@SyncGPService:{"code":500,"description":"Failed to create replica."} Failed to execute (Create Feature Service Replica).

Error while Extracting data in Sqlite Workspace.

Error: Table not registered [main.LCCA_CULVERT_MATERIALS].
An expected Field was not found or could not be retrieved properly.

(null) An expected Field was not found or could not be retrieved properly.

Failed to parse geometry from input JSON
P1715/REPAIR_EVENT_POINTS_OFFLINE.MapServer
I have it working now. I had to create a new feature class, import the schema of the former, load the data, delete the former fc, rename the new one to match. Then add GlobalID, archiving and attachements. Republished the service, re-added it in AGOL, logged off, logged back on in Collector. This allowed me to download and use disconnected as well as edit while connected.

Correction - I got one of the services to work. The services that were working yesterday and are not working in a connected mode are still giving the error in the screen shot.
Can you enable debug logging on the server and send me the logs when you try to add the feature?

Thanks!
Russ
Bad news.... came in this morning and what was working yesterday when I left is now giving the same error as the other services.
One thought, I set all new services to a minimum pooling of '0' to reduce unneccessary load on the server. Could that be interefering somehow? That's the only thing that I can think of. Russ, I'll send you the logs soon.
If you're feature service is pointing to your organizations ArcGIS server, updating the service url might help.  I've found that when I share a service with arcgis online the service url references our internal network address.  I was able to correct the download issue by changing the service location URL to our public facing address.
I'm getting the same error message when attempting to download a map with one simple point feature service published from ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 on Amazon EC2. I've used this thread as a resource and addressed all suggested solutions including: changing a field name that had a SQL reserved word in it; creating the feature class in 10.2 and importing schema and data from the original feature class; and adding the item in AGOL using the service's public URL. I have configured the data according to the information provided here, and all programs/applications are up-to-date. I'm using Collector on a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.3. The "Download" option is present when accessing the web map via Collector, which makes me think the data are configured correctly, but when I begin the download the status bar only gets to approximately 25% before I get the error message that started this string. Any more ideas?
Do you have any other layers in the web map besides the AGOL basemap and a feature service with sync enabled? Do you have any copied layers in the web map? Do you have debug logs enabled on your server and do you see what the error message is when the download fails on the server?

If you can share the map and service with a group and invite Collector4ArcGIS into it I can take a look and help spot the issue.
Russ
I invited you to the group "ESRI Support" and added the web map used for testing.

I do not have any other layers in the map, nor do I have any copies.I do not have debug logs enabled.

Note that we were able to test and successfully download the same map for offline on iOS devices (iPad and iPhone), so it appears to be an Android-specific issue.
I noticed you are using a proxied service in the web map and it is not shared to the group. To be able to load it I will need that added to the group as well.

One thing to note is if you are using a service with the credentials embedded make sure you add generate that proxy service using the URL servername/arcgis/rest/services/servicename/featureserver and not servername/arcgis/rest/services/servicename/featureserver/0. If you use the parent level the app should be able to request the replica. If you use the /0 there isnt a way for the app to go to the parent level and access the replica.

Russ
Sorry about that - it is shared with your group now. I am using the parent level URL.
@pgronli I took a look at your issue and found that this is a currently logged bug on our side and it is being looked into to see what the issue is. It looks like the token is not being used correctly and that is why it is failing.

Russ
Thanks for the follow up, Russ. I'll look forward to a fix.
I revisited the problems I was having with the Collector app over the coarse of the couple last weeks and as of today the problem 'resolved' itself. No changes made on my end, but now everything appears to be working correctly.

AND... not working again, same behavior. Back to Tech Support!

If you're feature service is pointing to your organizations ArcGIS server, updating the service url might help.  I've found that when I share a service with arcgis online the service url references our internal network address.  I was able to correct the download issue by changing the service location URL to our public facing address.

Thanks Dan, but our services are pointing to the public facing address already.

@pgronli I took a look at your issue and found that this is a currently logged bug on our side and it is being looked into to see what the issue is. It looks like the token is not being used correctly and that is why it is failing.

Russ

To follow up on this, ESRI Support was able to find me a workaround to the token issue on Android: rather than adding the feature service via "Add Item" in AGOL I added it directly to the web map, where I was prompted to enter my ArcGIS Server user credentials. I saved the web map and was able to access and download the basemap and data for offline editing via Collector. One limitation to this is that the web map can only be accessed in Collector by its owner (even when shared with the organization), so as administrator I had to change ownership to the particular user after saving the map.
I need to follow up on my thread posts above.

I now have the ArcGIS Collector working succesfully. I had to create an entirely new enterprise geodatabase (Windows Server 2008, MS SQL 2008, ArcGIS Server 10.2.2) and isolate that as a completely non-versioned database where the reconcile, post and compress (RPC) functions are not being performed.

It seemed pretty consistent that even though the DATASET was not versioned, everytime we performed the RPC process on the DATABASE as a whole, the collector would lose the ability to edit while in a connected mode. It would throw a bunch of database errors in the logs and essentially not work unless the feature class and feature service were recreated. This also seems to have resolved the problem in another post where editor tracking was not working in the collector, even with version 10.2.3 installed on the device.

Now if we could just add other, non-editable services to the same web map and/or add the same layer twice with different symbology to the same service the collector would be EXTREMELLY awesome!
@ocplanning

Could you help us understand the issue you are running into a bit more with two requests? The first being what steps does your RPC process involve, and secondly what database errors are returned in the log?

Thanks,
Colin
The reconcile post compress process is as follows:

(Daily) Reconcile user versions and post any edits, using ArcCatalog tool 'Reconcile Versions'. Do not delete versions after post.

(Daily) Compress the database.

(Once or twice weekly, analyze datasets; quarterly update DBMS statistics.)

Here is a snippet of the log - username, servername, domain and feature class have been removed for this post:

<Msg time='2014-06-04T12:02:21,823' type='SEVERE' code='17000' target='Zoning/ErosionControlInspections.MapServer' methodName='GraphicFeatureServer.HandleREST_ApplyEditsOperation' machine='ServerName.Domain.LOCAL' process='3568' thread='10996' user='username@domain' >Error: Underlying DBMS error [[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0][SQL Server]There are no rows in the current fetch buffer.] [Database.GIS.FeatureClassName].</Msg>

It has been working since my above thread post when I created a new non-versioned database.

I am not Compressing, and to this point have not analyzed or updated statistics.
**Update**

Not working again - same error as above. I cannot find any related errors in the DBMS logs either.
Similar to Luke's issue, I am seeing some very unstable behavior when editing a AWS-hosted feature service. In my case, I was suddenly able to make one initial edit to my point feature service before subsequent edit attempts would not be applied to the features as they appear in AGOL (desktop and mobile) nor in the source feature class (SQL EGDB on Amazon EC2). Thinking the problem could be related to Editor Tracking, I turned that capability off (last Friday, 6/20) and was able to make unlimited edits that were applied to the source data. Now on Monday, after having made no changes to the source data or feature service, we are only able to make one initial edit and then subsequent edits are not applied. I am not attempting offline edits in this case.

Any ideas?
I too am having trouble on both iphone and Android (Samsung s4) downloading offline map and adding attachments using collector through AGOL.  All else (editing, updating ,etc) is working.

SDE 10.1
Desktop 10.2.2
Server 10.2.2

I have un-versioned archive enabled and sync is on.  Adding attachments works fine in AGOL map.  Creating a replica through REST API works fine (see below)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34962[/ATTACH]

However, when I select "return attachments" through the REST API form when creating replica, I get

"Unable to complete operation.
Failed to create table descriptions from input. ObjectID-based attachments are not supported."
Greg,
For that error, you need to re-create the attachments using GLOBALID as the key field in order to use that functionality in offline editing.
Yes.  I have resolved that issue.  I am now able to create a replica through the REST API with downloading attachments.  Still can't download or add attachments in app.

I was able to resolve this issue by taking the DB Offline using the SQL manager tools NOT ArcCat.  Once I brought it back online everything worked as expected.  Until the next time I say....  So the question is what is causing it.

This document was generated from the following discussion: Map Failed To Download

Attachments
Version history
Last update:
‎02-03-2015 01:06 PM
Updated by:
Contributors