Collector help template

04-03-2018 05:19 PM
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
5 2 1,938

I recently shared a template for a Collector cheat sheet that could be taken, customized, and distributed to your users. It is a light-weight, single sheet of paper option. It is not enough for some organizations: some want a bit more detail, images, and setup included. This longer template speaks to those organizations.

This help template focuses on the basic workflow of collecting data with the internal GPS while online with optional sections that can be inserted for more advanced workflows. Like the cheat sheet, it is for you to customize. Unlike the cheat sheet, there is more to customize here based on your organization’s workflows. This template uses Word’s Quick Parts to provide a collection of sections you can insert to support more advanced workflows, including using external or high accuracy GPS and working offline.

To use the template:

1. Download the Word template, a .dotx file that is attached to this post.
  2. Save it to your Documents > Custom Office Templates folder.
  3. Open Word and pick the Collector Mobile Worker Help template as the basis for a new document.
  4. Follow the instructions in the template for updating. This includes inserting some sections saved as Quick Parts. For example, use the Quick Part to insert the sign in section appropriate for your users. If you use external GPS, work offline, perform GPS averaging, or have data with related records, there are additional Quick Parts you’ll want to insert. To use a Quick Part, put your cursor where you need the text inserted, go to Word’s Insert tab, and in the Text section of the tab click Quick Parts. Click AutoText and choose the Quick Part to insert.

While the template provided here focuses on the steps and information for iPhone, it is something that we could provide for the other devices as well. We wanted to get your feedback on it before doing so: Would you use this? What don’t you like about the format? Are the Quick Parts a useful format, or is there something else you’d want to see us use? Are there places that need more images or screen captures?

Leave a comment and share your thoughts! If you’d like to share your customized version of the template with us, please email it to Collector4ArcGIS@esri.com so that we can see how you use or plan to use this template.

2 Comments
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Kylie

I would love to have this for Android devices.

Thanks.

JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

Can you also cover what the end-user should do to refresh the map if admin changed it since the user last used it (added domains, changed symbology, etc.), and/or if changes made on another field devicearen't immediately showing up on the user's device?  For example, dragging the map around, refreshing the map list (drag the icons down until the refresh icon appears), reloading the map with the  icon, closing/re-opening Collector, etc.

About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.