Unreal Engine 4 datasmith problems

03-03-2022 04:59 PM
Aurigainteractivestudios
New Contributor II

I need some help with importing a CityEngine scene into a project in Unreal Engine 4.  I'm using CE 2021.1 and Unreal 4.27.

I run the Unreal datasmith export with default settings and everything seems to export fine.  When I go to import it into Unreal, it places the scene far beyond where it can be rendered normally and I get this

The models and materials themselves appear fine.  Aside from being placed very strangely, the individual segments of the meshes all seem to have gaps between them, rendering everything unusable even if I managed to move the whole thing somewhere else.

From all the documentation this should be straightforward and painless.  Why is this different?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
plfontes
New Contributor III

Hi,

This happens when I export to Blender also. It might be because these application don't handle well big objects distances from the centre of the scene. CE exports models in their correct geographical position according to the projection used, which might be kilometres from the 0,0.

In your CE Unreal exporting dialog window, under 'Geometry Setting' section, try centre the 'Global offset' to see if you get a better result.

Aurigainteractivestudios
New Contributor II

Thank you!  The global offset fixed it.  I also managed to export it as a single mesh instead of hundreds. I've yet to try individually but I think it should handle the gaps too. I'll post an update if I run into anything else.

0 Kudos
刘原鑫
New Contributor

根本问题就是坐标太大导致得问题。解决方法:从cityengine软件把生成好的模型导出FBX格式,然后把fbx模型导入在3dmax里。在3dmax里把模型打个组进行归0。然后从ue官方网站下max对应版本得datasmith插件版本,安装一下。把归0的模型导出成datasmith格式进ue,就没有这个问题了。

0 Kudos
刘原鑫
New Contributor

根本问题就是坐标太大导致得问题。解决方法:从cityengine里导出FBX格式,然后把fbx模型导入在3dmax里。在3dmax里把模型打个组进行归0。然后从ue官方网站下max对应版本得datasmith插件版本,安装一下。把归0的模型导出成datasmith格式进ue,就没有这个问题了。

0 Kudos
刘原鑫
New Contributor
55 秒前

解决方法:从CityEngine 软件把生成模型导出到FBX格式,然后把fbx模型导入到3dmax里。在打3dmax里把模型进行0。然后从ue官方网站下max版本需要datasmith版本,安装一下。把归0的模型导出成datasmith格式进ue,就没有这个问题了

0 Kudos