Problems re-enacting CE after license renewal

01-31-2013 02:56 AM
NicolaiSteinø
Occasional Contributor
I run CE 2012 with an advanced single user license on a Mac. Today the licenses were renewed and I received a new license number from my administrator and successfully installed it with ArcGIS Administrator???

BUT:

Since then, CE will not run, or rather, it freezes during startup. I tried to reinstall the program, downloading the software from the Esri homepage, but without success.

What do I do?

Needless to say, I need to get CE up and running asap, as I have a very important deadline next week and already took the weekend into account.

I am desparate and urgent help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Nic
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Nicolai !

I got a notification on your issue by the Danish Esri distributor.

Do you think it's a licensing issue or think it could also be something else which just prevents CE from starting ?

Let me know ..

Matt
0 Kudos
NicolaiSteinø
Occasional Contributor
Hi, yes I've been in close contact with Esri Denmark all day�?�

Actually CE unexpectedly quit late afternoon yesterday when I had stopped working but the application was still running.. This happens, so I paid no particular attention. Then when I started it again this morning, I got the following screen at startup:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21243[/ATTACH]

And the application froze on startup.

Then I learned about the new license and installed it �?? apparently with success �?? through ArcGIS Administrator as mentioned. Since then, the application still freezes, only, I no longer get the screen above.

I tried to install CE from a fresh download independently on two different Macs. On the second Mac, ArcGIS froze during the process of activating the new license code, and obviously I couldn't launch CE.

Does this give you any leads?

Nic
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

I don't have my Mac here, so try :

In your user account, there should be a hidden directory named '.CityEngine'.

Delete that folder ( just move to trash). CE will recreate it after a successful relaunch.

Btw. show hidden folders with this link :
http://osxdaily.com/2009/02/25/show-hidden-files-in-os-x/

Let me know if the '.CityEngine' folder really exists there.

If CE launches, good, otherwise, we'll try to track this down further.

Matt
0 Kudos
NicolaiSteinø
Occasional Contributor
One more thing:

I tried two different ways of registering in my second attempt (on the second Mac):

The recommended option (in the Software Authorization Wizard) is to authorize using the internet. That didn't work.

The second option is to authorize at Esri's website or by eMail. That caused a crash too.

Nic

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21244[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
NicolaiSteinø
Occasional Contributor
Wow! Your trick worked. I deleted the file I didn't know I had, and it worked�?�

Thanxalot!

Nic
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
CE starts again ? YAY ! 😉
0 Kudos